ECB's Asmussen says hopes for swift Cyprus aid deal
January 11, 2013 5:35 AM EST
European Central Bank policymaker Joerg Asmussen said on Thursday he hoped Cyprus would be able to conclude a full-fledged aid programme with international lenders after euro zone finance ministers have discussed the issue on January 21.
"I believe we have to reach a swift conclusion (on Cyprus). We are still waiting for the results of an evaluation of the Cypriot banking sector, which should come in mid-January. Then the Eurogroup on January 21 can have a first discussion," Asmussen said in a panel discussion.
"...in the weeks following that we will hopefully be able to conclude a fully-fledged programme," Asmussen added.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Wednesday she expected a bailout for Cyprus to take time. Germany, like some other member states, has concerns over what it sees as a lack of transparency in the financial sector in Cyprus, a popular tax haven for wealthy Russians.
The Mediterranean island applied for a financial rescue from the European Union and the International Monetary Fund last June after its banks suffered huge losses on the EU-approved writedown on Greece's debt.
(Reporting by Annika Breidthardt, writing by Gareth Jones and Annika Breidthardt)
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS