ECB's Asmussen says hopes for swift Cyprus aid deal
January 11, 2013 5:35 AM EST
European Central Bank policymaker Joerg Asmussen said on Thursday he hoped Cyprus would be able to conclude a full-fledged aid programme with international lenders after euro zone finance ministers have discussed the issue on January 21.
"I believe we have to reach a swift conclusion (on Cyprus). We are still waiting for the results of an evaluation of the Cypriot banking sector, which should come in mid-January. Then the Eurogroup on January 21 can have a first discussion," Asmussen said in a panel discussion.
"...in the weeks following that we will hopefully be able to conclude a fully-fledged programme," Asmussen added.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Wednesday she expected a bailout for Cyprus to take time. Germany, like some other member states, has concerns over what it sees as a lack of transparency in the financial sector in Cyprus, a popular tax haven for wealthy Russians.
The Mediterranean island applied for a financial rescue from the European Union and the International Monetary Fund last June after its banks suffered huge losses on the EU-approved writedown on Greece's debt.
(Reporting by Annika Breidthardt, writing by Gareth Jones and Annika Breidthardt)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]