Greg Oden Making Come Back? Rumors Peg Miami Heat As Landing Spot For Former No. 1 Pick
January 11, 2013 5:29 AM EST
Former No. 1 overall pick Greg Oden is planning a comeback, and the Miami Heat are reportedly interested.
Oden hasn’t played since 2009 due to a rash of knee injuries and subsequent micro fracture surgeries, but he would like to comeback for the start of the 2013-14 season, according to ESPN.com. Their report also says Miami has kept their on Oden's progress.
Oden does not want to rush his rehab, and would prefer to get into shape and start next season fresh.
Miami has desperately searched for more size in its frontcourt, but big men come at a huge premium in the NBA and the Heat already holding a huge cap log with their Big Three of LeBron James, Dwayne Wade, and Chris Bosh.
Signing Oden could be a huge risk for several reasons. His injury history is well documented, not to mention his reported spat with alcoholism and depression following his injuries and the psychological toll they took on Oden.
Then there are the new salary cap rules that go into effect next season. The Heat already have the fourth highest payroll in the league, and if their roster stats pat, Miami will have the second highest next year behind the Brooklyn Nets.
Out of Ohio State, Oden was heralded as the next great big man, with a rare combination of athleticism and size. The Portland Trailblazers selected him in 2007 over now superstar Kevin Durant.
For his career, Oden has averaged 9.4 points and 7.3 rebounds in 82 games.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June