Greg Oden Making Come Back? Rumors Peg Miami Heat As Landing Spot For Former No. 1 Pick
January 11, 2013 5:29 AM EST
Former No. 1 overall pick Greg Oden is planning a comeback, and the Miami Heat are reportedly interested.
Oden hasn’t played since 2009 due to a rash of knee injuries and subsequent micro fracture surgeries, but he would like to comeback for the start of the 2013-14 season, according to ESPN.com. Their report also says Miami has kept their on Oden's progress.
Oden does not want to rush his rehab, and would prefer to get into shape and start next season fresh.
Miami has desperately searched for more size in its frontcourt, but big men come at a huge premium in the NBA and the Heat already holding a huge cap log with their Big Three of LeBron James, Dwayne Wade, and Chris Bosh.
Signing Oden could be a huge risk for several reasons. His injury history is well documented, not to mention his reported spat with alcoholism and depression following his injuries and the psychological toll they took on Oden.
Then there are the new salary cap rules that go into effect next season. The Heat already have the fourth highest payroll in the league, and if their roster stats pat, Miami will have the second highest next year behind the Brooklyn Nets.
Out of Ohio State, Oden was heralded as the next great big man, with a rare combination of athleticism and size. The Portland Trailblazers selected him in 2007 over now superstar Kevin Durant.
For his career, Oden has averaged 9.4 points and 7.3 rebounds in 82 games.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports