Greg Oden Making Come Back? Rumors Peg Miami Heat As Landing Spot For Former No. 1 Pick
January 11, 2013 5:29 AM EST
Former No. 1 overall pick Greg Oden is planning a comeback, and the Miami Heat are reportedly interested.
Oden hasn’t played since 2009 due to a rash of knee injuries and subsequent micro fracture surgeries, but he would like to comeback for the start of the 2013-14 season, according to ESPN.com. Their report also says Miami has kept their on Oden's progress.
Oden does not want to rush his rehab, and would prefer to get into shape and start next season fresh.
Miami has desperately searched for more size in its frontcourt, but big men come at a huge premium in the NBA and the Heat already holding a huge cap log with their Big Three of LeBron James, Dwayne Wade, and Chris Bosh.
Signing Oden could be a huge risk for several reasons. His injury history is well documented, not to mention his reported spat with alcoholism and depression following his injuries and the psychological toll they took on Oden.
Then there are the new salary cap rules that go into effect next season. The Heat already have the fourth highest payroll in the league, and if their roster stats pat, Miami will have the second highest next year behind the Brooklyn Nets.
Out of Ohio State, Oden was heralded as the next great big man, with a rare combination of athleticism and size. The Portland Trailblazers selected him in 2007 over now superstar Kevin Durant.
For his career, Oden has averaged 9.4 points and 7.3 rebounds in 82 games.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Grimm Season 4 Spoilers: Comic-Con Answers Served, Nick 'Un-Grimmed' Affects His Wesen Friends' Honeymoon
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast