Greg Oden Making Come Back? Rumors Peg Miami Heat As Landing Spot For Former No. 1 Pick
January 11, 2013 5:29 AM EST
Former No. 1 overall pick Greg Oden is planning a comeback, and the Miami Heat are reportedly interested.
Oden hasn’t played since 2009 due to a rash of knee injuries and subsequent micro fracture surgeries, but he would like to comeback for the start of the 2013-14 season, according to ESPN.com. Their report also says Miami has kept their on Oden's progress.
Oden does not want to rush his rehab, and would prefer to get into shape and start next season fresh.
Miami has desperately searched for more size in its frontcourt, but big men come at a huge premium in the NBA and the Heat already holding a huge cap log with their Big Three of LeBron James, Dwayne Wade, and Chris Bosh.
Signing Oden could be a huge risk for several reasons. His injury history is well documented, not to mention his reported spat with alcoholism and depression following his injuries and the psychological toll they took on Oden.
Then there are the new salary cap rules that go into effect next season. The Heat already have the fourth highest payroll in the league, and if their roster stats pat, Miami will have the second highest next year behind the Brooklyn Nets.
Out of Ohio State, Oden was heralded as the next great big man, with a rare combination of athleticism and size. The Portland Trailblazers selected him in 2007 over now superstar Kevin Durant.
For his career, Oden has averaged 9.4 points and 7.3 rebounds in 82 games.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation