California: Two Shot as Gunman Opens Fire in Taft High School
By Gianluca Mezzofiore | January 11, 2013 5:27 AM EST
The shooter was reportedly in custody and all the students at Taft High School in Bakersfield have been evacuated, the Sheriff's Department has confirmed.
Broadcaster ABC reported that at least one person had been killed but that could not be confirmed. Other reports said that one of the victims was seriously injured.
The shooting happened as Biden announced that he would send recommendations on curbing gun violence to President Barack Obama by Tuesday.
Proposals such as tightening background checks for firearms buyers and banning high-capacity ammunition magazines have gathered a significant consensus, according to Biden.
Obama, who will be sworn in for a second term of office on January 21, pledged to announce tighter measures to address gun violence in the wake of the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre in which 20 young children and six adults were killed by lone gunman Adam Lanza.
Biden was due to meet senior representatives later today (Thursday) of the National Rifle Association, the country's most powerful pro-gun organisation.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Canada’s Anti-Prostitution Law Soon: Critics Call it Draconian
- ACT Party's Demand to Re Consider Maoris Privileges Evokes Reprimand
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Childhood Obesity is Strongly Linked With Early Puberty: Study Reveals
- Why Internet of Things is the Next Big Thing for Tech Giants like Samsung, Google and Apple
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Megan Fox's Weight Loss Aided by Low Carb Paleo Diet: Benefits of the Diet