California: Two Shot as Gunman Opens Fire in Taft High School
By Gianluca Mezzofiore | January 11, 2013 5:27 AM EST
The shooter was reportedly in custody and all the students at Taft High School in Bakersfield have been evacuated, the Sheriff's Department has confirmed.
Broadcaster ABC reported that at least one person had been killed but that could not be confirmed. Other reports said that one of the victims was seriously injured.
The shooting happened as Biden announced that he would send recommendations on curbing gun violence to President Barack Obama by Tuesday.
Proposals such as tightening background checks for firearms buyers and banning high-capacity ammunition magazines have gathered a significant consensus, according to Biden.
Obama, who will be sworn in for a second term of office on January 21, pledged to announce tighter measures to address gun violence in the wake of the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre in which 20 young children and six adults were killed by lone gunman Adam Lanza.
Biden was due to meet senior representatives later today (Thursday) of the National Rifle Association, the country's most powerful pro-gun organisation.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ideological Support Swells for Scottish Independence
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch Wants Putin's Daughter Maria Deported to Russia From Holland
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Gaza Crisis: 695 Dead & 4,500 Injured, UN Accuses Israel of War Crimes
- 3 Almost Believable Internet Theories on the Malaysia Airlines MH17 Crash
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports