Newcastle Issued Hands-Off Warning on Remy Fall-Back Option
By Nick Howson | January 11, 2013 3:44 AM EST
Newcastle United's attempts to sign a replacement for Demba Ba have taken a blow once again after St Etienne confirmed that striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang will remain at the club beyond the January transfer window.
The Gabon international is among the list of potential replacements for Ba, who joined Chelsea last week, as Alan Pardew looks to make a significant addition to the club's attack in an attempt to drag the club from a relegation dogfight.
However, Newcastle have hit another snag in their hopes to sign a new forward in January, with the news that Aubameyang, who has scored nine goals this season, won't be available for transfer until the summer.
"There is a lot of talk about many strikers and Newcastle, but Aubameyang will finish the season with us," St Etienne vice-president Dominique Rocheteau told RMC. "In football nothing is 100% certain, but we plan on keeping him."
On Wednesday, Marseille coach Eli Baup said striker Loic Remy, who has made just two domestic starts for the Ligue 1 co-leaders, could stay beyond the winter window also, scuppering any move from Newcastle.
"For a year, every transfer window, we have been talking about his departure," Baup told La Provence.
"But he is still there. Maybe he still will be in the summer. As this is the third transfer window where we are talking about his departure, he does not focus on it.
"He seeks primarily to regain his touch. The physical side, he has found. He must now partner that with the co-ordination of movements and feeling of the game."
The French international's former agent, Frederic Guerra has since criticised Newcastle's attempts to sign Remy, criticising the club for operating above their station.
"This is an exotic club par excellence. Over there they'll take the money and nothing more. It's been years since Newcastle have won anything!" Guerra told French radio station RMC.
Remaining strikers Papiss Cisse, Shola Ameobi and Nile Ranger have between them scored nine goals this season and Pardew is adamant the club must add to their attacking resources if they're to escape relegation to The Championship.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon