Sol Yurick Dies: Author Of 'The Warriors,' Which Spawned Cult Movie And Video Game, Dead At 87
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 11, 2013 3:38 AM EST
Sol Yurick, the author of the gang novel “The Warriors” that spawned the cult film and a video game, died Saturday of lung cancer, his family said Wednesday. He was 87.
Yurick drew on his experiences as an investigator for the New York City Department of Welfare to write “The Warriors,” a 1965 novel about gangs in the city, The New York Times reported.
In a 2003 introduction to a later edition of the novel, Yurick wrote, “some of the children of these families were what was then called juvenile delinquents,” referring to the kids he encountered working for the city.
“Many of them belonged to fighting gangs. Some of these gangs numbered in the hundreds; they were veritable armies. This social phenomenon was viewed, on the one hand, as the invasion of the barbarians, only this time they came from the inside rather than from the outside,” the author wrote, according to The Times.
Yurick was praised by other writers following the announcement of his death. The author died less than two weeks before his 88th birthday.
"His work meant a tremendous amount to those who lives in the 60s and 70s," author Jonathan Lethem told the New York Daily News. "He had a talismanic quality. He was of the street, the place, the milieu that couldn't be understood without a grasp of the everyday."
Yurick’s 1965 novel, his first, inspired the 1979 cult classic film of the same name. “The Warriors” movie depicted a Coney Island gang called The Warriors, who had all the gangs in the city after them throughout the film after the group was framed for the killing of a gang leader who tried to unify New York City’s underworld figures.
Yurick said in the 2003 edition of his book that he wrote “The Warriors” in part to counter other cultural depictions that glamorized gang life, such as “West Side Story,” The Times noted.
Yurick is survived by his daughter, Susanna Yurick, wife Adrienne Yurick, son-in-law Mark Vincent and his grandson, Niko Yurick Vincent, according to WNYC.
News of Yurick’s death spread on Twitter, where users of the micro-blogging site shared their memories of the late author, even if they only knew of his work through “The Warriors” movie.
“I've never read this novel. I should, since this is one of my favorite films of all time. RIP Sol Yurick,” wrote David T. Boyd.
“RIP Sol Yurick. The genius who wrote 'The Warriors.' Sound lad for that he was!” said admirer Louie Magee.
Aside from being adapted into a film, “The Warriors” was also turned into a video game released in 2005. The game was published by Rockstar Games, the maker of the “Grand Theft Auto” franchise, among other titles.
“RIP Sol Yurick, visionary author of ‘The Warriors,’” the video game publisher’s Twitter account stated.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories