Conman Who Stole £800,000 in Fake Lottery Scam Jailed For Six Years
By Dominic Gover | January 11, 2013 1:08 AM EST
A conman who duped victims into handing over almost £800,000 has been jailed after a six year-long police investigation.
Patrick Bomboi Emuh, 54, contacted 20 people to tell them they had won the lottery or inherited thousands of pounds.
Then he charged them money for his help in claiming the non-existent sums. Victims shelled out for advance fees, taxes and handling charges. In some cases, they were contacted by a "lawyer" who charged them for aiding their claim.
Some even travelled to the UK to collect their windfall, to be met by people posing as businessmen in the deal. To make the scam more convincing, bank notes were produced which had been tampered with.
Police began probing Emuh's activities after finding him holding £10,000. After that, an inquiry was launched into his bank accounts, revealing large sums of cash deposited in them.
Emuh, of Greenwich in London, denied ripping off victims, after police succeeded in contacting a selection, who all told the same tale of their experience with the fraudster. When officers first confronted him with the evidence, Emuh even claimed he was a Nigerian oil baron.
At Southwark Crown Court, he was jailed for six years for 19 counts under the Proceeds of Crime Act.
Investigator Doug Ferns said: "We are determined to continue uncovering scams like this and seeing that the perpetrators receive the kind of sentence that Emuh has.
"If a stranger contacts you saying you have inherited money or won a lottery, and must pay fees to access your windfall, do not believe it. Call the police."
Police created a website on how to avoid falling for scams. For more information, visit: www.actionfraud.police.uk.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch