Crude Oil Futures Gain on Chinese Trade Data
By Satya Nagendra | January 10, 2013 6:26 PM EST
Crude oil prices advanced in Asian trading Thursday as better-than-expected Chinese trade data reinforced signs of economic recovery in the world’s second largest oil consuming nation.
Light sweet crude for February delivery gained 0.38 percent or 35 cents to $93.45 a barrel in electronic trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange during the Asian trading hours. Brent crude oil futures for the February delivery rose 0.14 percent or 15 cents to $111.92 a barrel on the ICE futures exchange in London.
Investor sentiment turned positive after China reported better-than-expected trade figures for December, suggesting that the world’s second-largest economy is reviving its growth momentum and raised expectation of a hike in fuel demand.
Data released by the National Bureau of Statistics Thursday showed that China’s trade surplus widened to $31.6 billion in December from $19.6 billion in November and also topped analysts’ estimation of 19.7 billion.
Exports, a key indicator of China's economic growth, rose 14.1 percent in December from a year earlier, sharply higher compared to 2.9 percent increase in November and also beat Reuters estimation of a 4.6 percent rise. Imports grew 6 percent on annual basis in December compared to zero growth in November and above analysts’ expectation of a 3 percent rise.
“The growth in imports has been higher than expectations, which speaks highly for Chinese oil demand and global demand as a whole. Clearly, it will be seen as a positive for oil," Michael McCarthy, chief market analyst, CMC Markets Sydney, told Reuters.
On Wednesday, light sweet crude for the February delivery declined 5 cents and settled at $93.10 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange while brent crude for the February delivery fell 0.16 percent or 18 cents to at $111.76 a barrel.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone