Crude Oil Futures Gain on Chinese Trade Data
By Satya Nagendra | January 10, 2013 6:26 PM EST
Crude oil prices advanced in Asian trading Thursday as better-than-expected Chinese trade data reinforced signs of economic recovery in the world’s second largest oil consuming nation.
Light sweet crude for February delivery gained 0.38 percent or 35 cents to $93.45 a barrel in electronic trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange during the Asian trading hours. Brent crude oil futures for the February delivery rose 0.14 percent or 15 cents to $111.92 a barrel on the ICE futures exchange in London.
Investor sentiment turned positive after China reported better-than-expected trade figures for December, suggesting that the world’s second-largest economy is reviving its growth momentum and raised expectation of a hike in fuel demand.
Data released by the National Bureau of Statistics Thursday showed that China’s trade surplus widened to $31.6 billion in December from $19.6 billion in November and also topped analysts’ estimation of 19.7 billion.
Exports, a key indicator of China's economic growth, rose 14.1 percent in December from a year earlier, sharply higher compared to 2.9 percent increase in November and also beat Reuters estimation of a 4.6 percent rise. Imports grew 6 percent on annual basis in December compared to zero growth in November and above analysts’ expectation of a 3 percent rise.
“The growth in imports has been higher than expectations, which speaks highly for Chinese oil demand and global demand as a whole. Clearly, it will be seen as a positive for oil," Michael McCarthy, chief market analyst, CMC Markets Sydney, told Reuters.
On Wednesday, light sweet crude for the February delivery declined 5 cents and settled at $93.10 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange while brent crude for the February delivery fell 0.16 percent or 18 cents to at $111.76 a barrel.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Battery Life Test Shows Its Curved Display And Build Has Impacted Its Battery Performance