Australian pension fund pulls out of News Corp after failure to oust Murdoch
January 10, 2013 4:56 PM EST
An Australian pension fund said on Thursday that it would sell down its A$7 million (4.6 million pounds) stake in Rupert Murdoch's News Corp
Last October, Rupert Murdoch survived a second attempt to oust him as chairman of News Corp, defeating critics who said his family wielded too much control over the company.
First Super, an A$1.7 billion pension fund in Australia, said it had asked its fund managers to sell News Corp shares over the next few months, as the lack of a more independent board meant inadequacies of the governance structure and posed "unacceptable" risks for investors.
"These issues are apparently of no concern to Rupert Murdoch, so our Board decided to take his advice and sell down our shareholding," Michael O'Connor, the fund's co-chair, said in a statement.
News Corp shares have gained more than 40 percent in the past year, and the company announced a plan to split into two businesses, one for entertainment and one for publishing, a move to boost the value of its film and television assets.
"Certainly the timing has been good for us, but clearly we are a long-term investor as a superannuation fund and we take a long-term view," O'Connor told Reuters.
Australia has the world's fourth-largest fund management market, mainly because of the nation's A$1.3 trillion superannuation system, which ensures a steady flow of retirement savings into the market. ($1 = 0.9516 Australian dollars)
(Reporting By Maggie Lu Yueyang; Editing by Chris Gallagher)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- UEFA Champions League Draw Result and Replay: Arsenal Joins Toughest Group, Cristiano Ronaldo Named Best Player In Europe [PHOTOS and VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans