Bleaker Prospect for Trillion Dollar Coin Solution
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 10, 2013 2:23 PM EST
A proposal for the U.S. Treasury to mint one trillion dollar coins to address the country's debt limit problem appears headed for defeat despite the support for it by Republicans and some sectors.
He said the trillion dollar coin solution is merely pure speculation. The proposal is based on an obscure law that gives the Treasury Secretary the ability to mint platinum coins of any denomination. If a $1 trillion coin would be deposited with the Federal Reserve, it would give the federal government the ability to make payments without the need to issue more debt and defuse the possibility of a default because of the debt ceiling.
Some sectors, however, said Mr Carney's answer is neither a yes or no, and when pressed further, he said the question must be addressed to the Treasury Department.
"I answered it thoroughly . . . and I have no coins in my pocket," the secretary later joked.
Although the idea may seem absurd, Nobel Prize winner economist Paul Krugman has endorsed it. "Should President Obama be willing to print a $1 trillion platinum coin if Republicans try to force America into default? Yes, absolutely," wrote Mr Krugman who once headed the U.S. Mint.
Foreign exchange trader Mike Casey warned of the impact of such a move on the U.S. dollar.
"Even if the government were to take advantage of the legal loophole that liberal pundits have gleefully uncovered, once it began drawing on the reserves it created at the Fed, the central bank would issue certificates to absorb excess currency and keep the money supply in check. This isn't a 'monetize the debt' proposal that threatens hyperinflation. It's a political maneuver, nothing more," The Wall Street Journal quoted Mr Casey.
Bloomberg cited a source close to Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner that the latter is also very skeptical of the proposal.
U.S. Rep Greg Walden (R-Ore) has announced plans to introduce a bill to ban the minting of a $1 trillion coin.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers