Samsung Youm vs. Nokia Kinetic: The Battle of Prototype Flexible Screens
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 10, 2013 10:37 AM EST
There is no stopping Samsung on making awesome innovations and development to maneuver amazing hardware engineering to mobile phones. The Samsung Youm, featuring eye-catching flexible screens, has made its debut at the ongoing CES 2013 in Las Vegas.
Samsung showed demo units 5 inches in size phone-like devices with screen wraps around the size edges displaying information such as SMS and other alerts without viewing the entire screen.
Samsung used OLED technology, giving the screen the deeper blacks and high overall screen contrast but offering better power efficiency compared to regular LCD displays. Samsung demoed other possible form factors of the screen such as bending it like a question mark to simpler designs that form small curl on the edges.
No date yet has been provided for the release of Samsung Youm.
In 2011, Nokia has shown their concept of interface defining the near future called Flexible Kinetic Interface. Nokia flexible devices feature flexible screens and have different shapes which fit to possible imaginable desires of a user.
The HumanForm, which looks like a teardrop, shows icons on its screen such as clock and contact link with imaging. The concept gives more twist to the old candy bar models before. The grip of the HumanForm teardrop like shape may provide more comfort to users as it seems to fit the hand's grip.
Nokia Kinetic is the future definition of Nokia's Nanotechnology combined OLED technology display which allows user to access functions by intuitive gestures in addition to touch response.
Intuitive gestures include twisting, squeezing, and flexing the device to access applications and other phone functions. The other gestures include:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced