Samsung Youm vs. Nokia Kinetic: The Battle of Prototype Flexible Screens
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 10, 2013 10:37 AM EST
There is no stopping Samsung on making awesome innovations and development to maneuver amazing hardware engineering to mobile phones. The Samsung Youm, featuring eye-catching flexible screens, has made its debut at the ongoing CES 2013 in Las Vegas.
Samsung showed demo units 5 inches in size phone-like devices with screen wraps around the size edges displaying information such as SMS and other alerts without viewing the entire screen.
Samsung used OLED technology, giving the screen the deeper blacks and high overall screen contrast but offering better power efficiency compared to regular LCD displays. Samsung demoed other possible form factors of the screen such as bending it like a question mark to simpler designs that form small curl on the edges.
No date yet has been provided for the release of Samsung Youm.
In 2011, Nokia has shown their concept of interface defining the near future called Flexible Kinetic Interface. Nokia flexible devices feature flexible screens and have different shapes which fit to possible imaginable desires of a user.
The HumanForm, which looks like a teardrop, shows icons on its screen such as clock and contact link with imaging. The concept gives more twist to the old candy bar models before. The grip of the HumanForm teardrop like shape may provide more comfort to users as it seems to fit the hand's grip.
Nokia Kinetic is the future definition of Nokia's Nanotechnology combined OLED technology display which allows user to access functions by intuitive gestures in addition to touch response.
Intuitive gestures include twisting, squeezing, and flexing the device to access applications and other phone functions. The other gestures include:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Apple Inc Shifting to 'Lifestyle Brand' Under Tim Cook; Samsung Losing Smartphone Numbers War
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff