Samsung Youm vs. Nokia Kinetic: The Battle of Prototype Flexible Screens
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 10, 2013 10:37 AM EST
There is no stopping Samsung on making awesome innovations and development to maneuver amazing hardware engineering to mobile phones. The Samsung Youm, featuring eye-catching flexible screens, has made its debut at the ongoing CES 2013 in Las Vegas.
Samsung showed demo units 5 inches in size phone-like devices with screen wraps around the size edges displaying information such as SMS and other alerts without viewing the entire screen.
Samsung used OLED technology, giving the screen the deeper blacks and high overall screen contrast but offering better power efficiency compared to regular LCD displays. Samsung demoed other possible form factors of the screen such as bending it like a question mark to simpler designs that form small curl on the edges.
No date yet has been provided for the release of Samsung Youm.
In 2011, Nokia has shown their concept of interface defining the near future called Flexible Kinetic Interface. Nokia flexible devices feature flexible screens and have different shapes which fit to possible imaginable desires of a user.
The HumanForm, which looks like a teardrop, shows icons on its screen such as clock and contact link with imaging. The concept gives more twist to the old candy bar models before. The grip of the HumanForm teardrop like shape may provide more comfort to users as it seems to fit the hand's grip.
Nokia Kinetic is the future definition of Nokia's Nanotechnology combined OLED technology display which allows user to access functions by intuitive gestures in addition to touch response.
Intuitive gestures include twisting, squeezing, and flexing the device to access applications and other phone functions. The other gestures include:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies
- Fast Food Meat Scandal: McDonald’s Suspend Nuggets and McSpicy Chicken Filets
- Tweens Fool Their Parents Online, McAfee Reports
- Texas Man Selling Condo With ‘Funniest and Most Revealing Ad’
- Debt-Laden Millennials Join Stock Market
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]