Samsung Youm vs. Nokia Kinetic: The Battle of Prototype Flexible Screens
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 10, 2013 10:37 AM EST
There is no stopping Samsung on making awesome innovations and development to maneuver amazing hardware engineering to mobile phones. The Samsung Youm, featuring eye-catching flexible screens, has made its debut at the ongoing CES 2013 in Las Vegas.
Samsung showed demo units 5 inches in size phone-like devices with screen wraps around the size edges displaying information such as SMS and other alerts without viewing the entire screen.
Samsung used OLED technology, giving the screen the deeper blacks and high overall screen contrast but offering better power efficiency compared to regular LCD displays. Samsung demoed other possible form factors of the screen such as bending it like a question mark to simpler designs that form small curl on the edges.
No date yet has been provided for the release of Samsung Youm.
In 2011, Nokia has shown their concept of interface defining the near future called Flexible Kinetic Interface. Nokia flexible devices feature flexible screens and have different shapes which fit to possible imaginable desires of a user.
The HumanForm, which looks like a teardrop, shows icons on its screen such as clock and contact link with imaging. The concept gives more twist to the old candy bar models before. The grip of the HumanForm teardrop like shape may provide more comfort to users as it seems to fit the hand's grip.
Nokia Kinetic is the future definition of Nokia's Nanotechnology combined OLED technology display which allows user to access functions by intuitive gestures in addition to touch response.
Intuitive gestures include twisting, squeezing, and flexing the device to access applications and other phone functions. The other gestures include:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- Radio Australia Cuts to Affect Isolated Vanuatu Residents Who Rely on It for Weather Bulletins
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown