Samsung Youm vs. Nokia Kinetic: The Battle of Prototype Flexible Screens
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 10, 2013 10:37 AM EST
There is no stopping Samsung on making awesome innovations and development to maneuver amazing hardware engineering to mobile phones. The Samsung Youm, featuring eye-catching flexible screens, has made its debut at the ongoing CES 2013 in Las Vegas.
Samsung showed demo units 5 inches in size phone-like devices with screen wraps around the size edges displaying information such as SMS and other alerts without viewing the entire screen.
Samsung used OLED technology, giving the screen the deeper blacks and high overall screen contrast but offering better power efficiency compared to regular LCD displays. Samsung demoed other possible form factors of the screen such as bending it like a question mark to simpler designs that form small curl on the edges.
No date yet has been provided for the release of Samsung Youm.
In 2011, Nokia has shown their concept of interface defining the near future called Flexible Kinetic Interface. Nokia flexible devices feature flexible screens and have different shapes which fit to possible imaginable desires of a user.
The HumanForm, which looks like a teardrop, shows icons on its screen such as clock and contact link with imaging. The concept gives more twist to the old candy bar models before. The grip of the HumanForm teardrop like shape may provide more comfort to users as it seems to fit the hand's grip.
Nokia Kinetic is the future definition of Nokia's Nanotechnology combined OLED technology display which allows user to access functions by intuitive gestures in addition to touch response.
Intuitive gestures include twisting, squeezing, and flexing the device to access applications and other phone functions. The other gestures include:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock Sees Biggest After-Earnings Move; Share Price To Reach 3-Digit Mark
- Medibank IPO Seeks To Raise $4.8B Capital, Biggest Share Launch In Asia For 2014
- 65 Deaths In 1 Year Make Jobs In Transport & Storage Sector Most Dangerous In Australia
- Porsche, Pope, Sistine Chapel and The Godfather
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar