$1 Million in Stock Losses Due to NSW Fires
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 10, 2013 10:01 AM EST
The bushfires raging across New South Wales has caused about $1 million damage to the state's stock. Although there are no lives lost or homes razed due to the blazes, NSW Premier Barry O'Farrell said about 10,000 sheep were lost in Yass shire alone.
Stock raisers and farmers as well as NSW residents from 37 communities affected by the ongoing fire would have access to natural disaster assistance, Mr O'Farrell and Prime Minister Julia Gillard said.
The assistance would come in different forms such as disaster relief grants for eligible individuals and families whose homes and household items were destroyed or damaged by the 135 ongoing bushfires and grants to councils to help them meet the extra cost of emergency work as the councils bring back essential services.
The communities eligible for assistance are: Albury, Berrigan, Blayney, Boorowa, Cabonne, Conargo, Coolamon, Cooma-Monaro, Cootamundra, Corowa, Cowra, Deniliquin, Forbes, Goulburn Mulwaree, Greater Hume, Gundagai, Harden, Jerilderie, Junee, Lachlan, Lockhart, Murray, Orange, Palerang, Parkes, Queanbeyan, Shoalhaven, Snowy River, Tumbarumba, Tumut, Upper Lachlan, Urana, Wagga Wagga, Wakool, Weddin, Yass Valley and Young.
As of Wednesday evening, of the 135 fires alight, 30 are uncontained, razing a total area of 345,000 hectares. The 30 uncontained are concentrated on a 44-kilometre perimeter at Dean's Gap near Nowra, a 16,000-hectare scrub fire near Yass and a 9,000-hectare blaze in the Kybeyan Valley, near Cooma.
The destruction of stock by bushfires is the latest calamity to hit Australia's livestock sector after Pakistan culled 25,000 Australian sheep exports and videos from Israel and Indonesian slaughterhouses confirmed reports that the animals are culled in inhumane and brutal manner.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- NASA Scientists Advance Understanding of Climate Change With The Help Of IceCube
- First Ever Man-Made Leaf That Could Provide Oxygen During Space Travel: A Breathtaking Leap [Watch Video]
- NASA: Early Earth Likely To Have Been Hit By Giant Asteroids
- Hair Iron Could Spell the Future of Instant Hair Colour - US Engineers [Watch Video]
- Brown Fat Reduces Obesity, Diabetes Risk: Study
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools