$1 Million in Stock Losses Due to NSW Fires
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 10, 2013 10:01 AM EST
The bushfires raging across New South Wales has caused about $1 million damage to the state's stock. Although there are no lives lost or homes razed due to the blazes, NSW Premier Barry O'Farrell said about 10,000 sheep were lost in Yass shire alone.
Stock raisers and farmers as well as NSW residents from 37 communities affected by the ongoing fire would have access to natural disaster assistance, Mr O'Farrell and Prime Minister Julia Gillard said.
The assistance would come in different forms such as disaster relief grants for eligible individuals and families whose homes and household items were destroyed or damaged by the 135 ongoing bushfires and grants to councils to help them meet the extra cost of emergency work as the councils bring back essential services.
The communities eligible for assistance are: Albury, Berrigan, Blayney, Boorowa, Cabonne, Conargo, Coolamon, Cooma-Monaro, Cootamundra, Corowa, Cowra, Deniliquin, Forbes, Goulburn Mulwaree, Greater Hume, Gundagai, Harden, Jerilderie, Junee, Lachlan, Lockhart, Murray, Orange, Palerang, Parkes, Queanbeyan, Shoalhaven, Snowy River, Tumbarumba, Tumut, Upper Lachlan, Urana, Wagga Wagga, Wakool, Weddin, Yass Valley and Young.
As of Wednesday evening, of the 135 fires alight, 30 are uncontained, razing a total area of 345,000 hectares. The 30 uncontained are concentrated on a 44-kilometre perimeter at Dean's Gap near Nowra, a 16,000-hectare scrub fire near Yass and a 9,000-hectare blaze in the Kybeyan Valley, near Cooma.
The destruction of stock by bushfires is the latest calamity to hit Australia's livestock sector after Pakistan culled 25,000 Australian sheep exports and videos from Israel and Indonesian slaughterhouses confirmed reports that the animals are culled in inhumane and brutal manner.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report