VIDEO Real Madrid 4-0 Celta Vigo (agg. 5-2): Highlights; Ronaldo Hat-Trick Takes Madrid Through In Copa Del Rey
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 10, 2013 9:42 AM EST
Cristiano Ronaldo struck a fine hat-trick to ease some of the gloom hanging over Real Madrid as they progressed through to the quarterfinals of the Copa del Rey with a 5-2 aggregate victory over Celta Vigo.
Trailing 2-1 from the first leg last month, Madrid took the lead in the tie with a first-half brace from Ronaldo. Celta were able to exert some pressure in the second half, especially when Sergio Ramos was sent off for a second yellow card. But Ronaldo’s third and a goal from Sami Khedira late on ensured Real Madrid’s progress to a meeting with Valencia after a 4-0 victory at the Bernabeu.
Madrid boss Jose Mourinho elected to start with Iker Casillas in goal in place of Antonio Adan, who had controversially been picked ahead of the club captain in the past two matches. With that situation at least temporarily put to one side, Madrid were given the perfect start as they looked to overturn their first-leg deficit as Ronaldo produced a stunning strike less than three minutes in.
Just two days after again finishing second in the FIFA Balllon d’Or voting, the Portuguese forward gave a reminder of his incredible quality. Receiving a throw in on the left, Ronaldo took a touch inside toward the corner of the box and then unleashed a typically wicked strike filled with movement that swerved away from a befuddled Sergio Alvarez and tore into the far side of the net.
Madrid’s miserable past few weeks had also been added to by Luka Modric bring voted the worst signing of the season by Marca. The Croatian, playing in a deeper midfield role showed the ability that persuaded Madrid to pay £33 million for his services with a stunning pass to Ronaldo for the second goal in the 24th minute. Clear on goal from Modric’s pass, Ronaldo elected to hit a first-time volley and, while he didn’t strike it as cleanly as his first goal, the shot was still good enough to beat Alvarez.
Things were starting to get tense for the home side as Ramos was sent off and Casillas was forced into a fine save from Celta Vigo’s Michael Krohn Delhi.
As the visitors pushed forward in search of a goal to take the match into extra time, Madrid struck a decisive third with three minutes to go with a classic counter attack. Substitute Gonzalo Higuain fed the ball through to Ronaldo who was utterly clinical in firing an unstoppable low drive with his left foot into the far corner.
And the icing was put on the cake with just over a minute left on the clock. Khedira played a simple one-two with Ronaldo to get clear into the box and was able to send a scuffed shot past Alvarez.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Superfight Won’t Happen Because Floyd Is Scared Of Left-Handed Boxers, Pacman - Bob Arum
- Serena Williams Shows Off Her Bikini Body With Eva Longoria At The Miami Beach After US Open Victory
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone