VIDEO Real Madrid 4-0 Celta Vigo (agg. 5-2): Highlights; Ronaldo Hat-Trick Takes Madrid Through In Copa Del Rey
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 10, 2013 9:42 AM EST
Cristiano Ronaldo struck a fine hat-trick to ease some of the gloom hanging over Real Madrid as they progressed through to the quarterfinals of the Copa del Rey with a 5-2 aggregate victory over Celta Vigo.
Trailing 2-1 from the first leg last month, Madrid took the lead in the tie with a first-half brace from Ronaldo. Celta were able to exert some pressure in the second half, especially when Sergio Ramos was sent off for a second yellow card. But Ronaldo’s third and a goal from Sami Khedira late on ensured Real Madrid’s progress to a meeting with Valencia after a 4-0 victory at the Bernabeu.
Madrid boss Jose Mourinho elected to start with Iker Casillas in goal in place of Antonio Adan, who had controversially been picked ahead of the club captain in the past two matches. With that situation at least temporarily put to one side, Madrid were given the perfect start as they looked to overturn their first-leg deficit as Ronaldo produced a stunning strike less than three minutes in.
Just two days after again finishing second in the FIFA Balllon d’Or voting, the Portuguese forward gave a reminder of his incredible quality. Receiving a throw in on the left, Ronaldo took a touch inside toward the corner of the box and then unleashed a typically wicked strike filled with movement that swerved away from a befuddled Sergio Alvarez and tore into the far side of the net.
Madrid’s miserable past few weeks had also been added to by Luka Modric bring voted the worst signing of the season by Marca. The Croatian, playing in a deeper midfield role showed the ability that persuaded Madrid to pay £33 million for his services with a stunning pass to Ronaldo for the second goal in the 24th minute. Clear on goal from Modric’s pass, Ronaldo elected to hit a first-time volley and, while he didn’t strike it as cleanly as his first goal, the shot was still good enough to beat Alvarez.
Things were starting to get tense for the home side as Ramos was sent off and Casillas was forced into a fine save from Celta Vigo’s Michael Krohn Delhi.
As the visitors pushed forward in search of a goal to take the match into extra time, Madrid struck a decisive third with three minutes to go with a classic counter attack. Substitute Gonzalo Higuain fed the ball through to Ronaldo who was utterly clinical in firing an unstoppable low drive with his left foot into the far corner.
And the icing was put on the cake with just over a minute left on the clock. Khedira played a simple one-two with Ronaldo to get clear into the box and was able to send a scuffed shot past Alvarez.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Grigor Dimitrov Turns To Novak Djokovic For Love Advice; Dimitrov and Sharapova At The 2014 China Open
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate