5 Dead In Kentucky Fire; Father And Four Children Die, Mother In Critical Condition
By Charles Poladian | January 10, 2013 9:29 AM EST
An early morning fire in eastern Kentucky left five dead and another in critical condition Wednesday. The deadly blaze occurred at the Pike County home of the Billy Wilfong and Tammie Tucker.
The fire started around 2:30 a.m. and engulfed the home, according to The Associated Press. Wilfong was the father of the four children who tragically died in the blaze. Wilfong and Tucker were not married but had lived together for seven years.
Glema Blair, the children’s great-aunt, lived behind the house and rushed to the home to find Tucker and her father trying to enter the burning building and rescue the children and Wilfong, who were trapped inside. The fire was so hot that Blair could not approach the home, telling AP that she suffered second-degree burns from just being near the flames.
Tucker suffered severe burns in her attempts to rescue her children and Wilfong and had to be airlifted to University of Kentucky Medical Center in Lexington.
The children were a close-knit group, according to Blair, who identified them as Dakota Lee, age 5, Tyler Lane, 4, Cheyenne, 2, and Emily, six months old. Blair said to AP, “They were good kids, you couldn't ask for no better.” Wilfong was 39, according to WSAZ.
According to Wilfong’s sister, Sherry Milan, Wilfong was a devoted family man, “a free spirited guy whose kids are his life,” reports WSAZ.
Neighbors were shocked by the tragic blaze and officials believe this is the deadliest fire in Kentucky in the last five years. In 2007, 10 individuals, including six children, perished in a house fire in Bardstown, a city in Nelson County, reports AP. Brandon Roberts, a spokesman for Pike County Judge-Executive Wayne T. Rutherford, said, "I can't remember a whole family perishing in a fire in my lifetime. It's just, 'Oh God.'"
The extreme temperatures of the blaze have stalled efforts by officials to recover the bodies. There were still hot spots throughout the home and officials were waiting for the house to cool down before entering, notes AP.
There have been no reports as to what could have caused the deadly blaze.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2