MakerBot Unveils Replicator 2X 3D Printer at CES 2013
By Yannick LeJacq | January 10, 2013 7:40 AM EST
3D printing has come a long way since last year’s Consumer Electronics Show. Once a curiosity left to the smallest of obscure booths in the massive Las Vegas Convention Center, which is filled each January with thousands of prospective tech entrepreneurs, MakerBot’s press booth now overflows with tech bloggers and industry analysts this week as it announced a handful of new developments.
On the hardware side, MakerBot announced its latest 3D printer model: the MakerBot 2X. The device features two-color printing capabilities, but many other features such as the resolution and the design of the outer casing are the same as the MakerBot 2, which was first introduced in September 2012. However, the 2X does introduce a new extruder -- the component that actually feeds plastic into the device, heats it, and prints it out but it's been redesigned with a new extruder — the system that feeds, heats, and "prints" the plastic.
Along with this, the new printer has also been adjusted to allow for use of both PLA (Polylactic acid) and ABS (Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene) plastics. ABS tends to be a trickier material to work with but can yield better results for seasoned tinkerers, so MakerBot CEO Bre Pettis said that the new device was developed for the gadget-friendly mavens rather than a general audience.
This specialization is reflected in the price as well. The 2X will sell for $2,799, a $600 increase from the Replicator 2. Petties said that device will begin selling on January 11th, and printers will ship in March.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft