NYC Ferry's Dockside Crash Injures 57 [VIDEO + PHOTOS]
By Gianluca Mezzofiore | January 10, 2013 2:03 AM EST
Investigations have begun into a rush hour ferry smash in New York that left 57 passengers injured, two of them critically. The two were being treated for serious head injuries after the SeaStreak ferry ploughed into a dock.
The SeaStreak ferry from the New Jersey town of Atlantic Highlands struck Pier 11 as it arrived in Lower Manhattan.
A number of the most seriously injured patients were carried on stretcher gurneys to waiting ambulances as investigations got under way into the cause of the crash.
"We don't know what the cause was," said coastguard spokesman Charles Rowe.
"Nothing seemed like it was going to be out of the ordinary," a passenger told ABC news.
"Once or twice where I was talking with a colleague we thought [the ferry] was coming in a little bit near Brooklyn, where we're not used to seeing it. Then the next thing we knew, you feel the jolt and then everybody goes flying."
Another eyewitness said the ferry "ripped open like a tin can" and people started tumbling on top of one another, hysterical and crying.
SeaStreak carries people from ports in New Jersey to the pier serving East 35th Street and World Financial Centre in Wall Street. Most of the injured were on the upper level, where passengers were waiting to disembark.
"There was a jolt , throwing the people forward into their seats and the walls," SeaStreak president James Barker told NBC 4 New York.
"The legal aftermath will be played out in a federal court in Manhattan since the incident occurred in the navigable waters of the United States, ie, New York harbour," said maritime law expert Prof Anthony Sabino.
"The paramount questions will be why the accident happened, were all safety protocols followed, and was there negligence? Expect a full-blown coastguard investigation, with civil lawsuits to follow."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- U.S. ‘Defends’ Israel for ‘Disgraceful’ Attack on UN School in Gaza that Killed 15
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- MH17: Separatist Soldier Holds Aussie Reporter at Gun Point
- NSW Braces for Severe Weather Condition
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools