Arsenal Transfer News: Wenger Outlines January Approach
By Vishnuprasad S | January 9, 2013 10:28 PM EST
Arsene Wenger claims Arsenal will remain alert during this transfer window but will make an approach only if they find the right players.
The Gunners have already sent striker Marouane Chamakh and defender Johan Djourou on loan, to West Ham United and Hannover respectively, and are expected to trim the team further by moving several fringe players, including Andrei Arshavin and Sebastien Squillaci. However, Wenger remains adamant he will make additions only if he finds players he feels can improve the present squad.
"We are in the market and if we find the right players, we will do something," The Independent quoted Wenger.
The north London outfit suffered a major setback in their pursuit of Barcelona forward David Villa, with the Catalan club's president Sandro Rossell insisting that the player would not be allowed to leave in January.
"I completely rule out the transfer of Villa during the winter market. He is ours and we need him, there is a lot of the season left," the Barcelona chief stressed.
Vargas Set to Join Sao Paulo
Meanwhile, Sao Paulo president Juvenal Juvencio has stated that the club will announce the signing of Napoli forward and reported Arsenal target Eduardo Vargas this week.
The Chile international, who has fallen down the pecking order at Naples, had been linked with a host of European clubs, including the Gunners. However, the Brazilian giants have now moved to the head of the queue and are in pole position to snap up their man.
"We'll define his signing this week. Values and intentions have been agreed. Now we have to wait, we will have him for a year and a half. We believe he will be an important player for us," Juvencio told Sky Sports.
Vargas has managed only 19 Serie A appearances and is yet to score his first league goal, after moving to Napoli from native side Universidad de Chile last year.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People