Arsenal Transfer News: Wenger Outlines January Approach
By Vishnuprasad S | January 9, 2013 10:28 PM EST
Arsene Wenger claims Arsenal will remain alert during this transfer window but will make an approach only if they find the right players.
The Gunners have already sent striker Marouane Chamakh and defender Johan Djourou on loan, to West Ham United and Hannover respectively, and are expected to trim the team further by moving several fringe players, including Andrei Arshavin and Sebastien Squillaci. However, Wenger remains adamant he will make additions only if he finds players he feels can improve the present squad.
"We are in the market and if we find the right players, we will do something," The Independent quoted Wenger.
The north London outfit suffered a major setback in their pursuit of Barcelona forward David Villa, with the Catalan club's president Sandro Rossell insisting that the player would not be allowed to leave in January.
"I completely rule out the transfer of Villa during the winter market. He is ours and we need him, there is a lot of the season left," the Barcelona chief stressed.
Vargas Set to Join Sao Paulo
Meanwhile, Sao Paulo president Juvenal Juvencio has stated that the club will announce the signing of Napoli forward and reported Arsenal target Eduardo Vargas this week.
The Chile international, who has fallen down the pecking order at Naples, had been linked with a host of European clubs, including the Gunners. However, the Brazilian giants have now moved to the head of the queue and are in pole position to snap up their man.
"We'll define his signing this week. Values and intentions have been agreed. Now we have to wait, we will have him for a year and a half. We believe he will be an important player for us," Juvencio told Sky Sports.
Vargas has managed only 19 Serie A appearances and is yet to score his first league goal, after moving to Napoli from native side Universidad de Chile last year.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop