Apple to Launch Cheaper iPhone in Late 2013: Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 9, 2013 9:41 PM EST
As Wall Street Journal reports, citing sources close to the company, Apple's budget iPhone will resemble the standard model, but may substitute the regular aluminium case with a polycarbonate plastic chassis. Following Wall Street Journal's report, Taiwanese site Digitimes reported on Tuesday that Apple is allegedly crafting an inexpensive iPhone model.
"Apple Inc. is working on a lower-end iPhone, according to people briefed on the matter, a big shift in strategy as its supremacy in smartphones has slipped. While Apple has explored such a device for years, the plan has been progressing and a less expensive version of the flagship device could launch as soon as later this year, one of the people said," The WSJ reported.
The report further clarifies Apple has shifted focus from its smartphone line for the first time, ever since the company launched its first iPhone variant in 2007. The report further hints that Apple "could decide not to move forward with the device."
Apple has not yet confirmed the report. It is also speculated that the parts of the low cost iPhone model would be made of recycled iPhones. Apple's faces stiff competition from its rival Android-smartphone-makers, with decline in its smartphone market share through the third quarter of last year notwithstanding. The market share of Apple slipped down to 14.6 percent from 23 percent between the fourth quarter of 2011 and the first quarter of 2012.
Meanwhile, a Stuff.co.nz report suggested that the upcoming low-cost Apple iPhone would be priced as low as $500 and rumoured to be touted as "iPhone mini".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Hong Kong Protests Cause Closure Of Banks & Instagram Outages In China
- Federal Court Orders Coles To Hang Signs For 3 Months That It Passed Off Par-Baked Bread As Fresh From The Oven
- Microsoft To Have Its Own Retail Outlet in Manhattan
- Telstra To Convert Old Payphones Into Wi-Fi Hotspots
- #Bendgate Video Hits Almost 46 Million In 5 Days, But Impact On Apple’s Finances Minimal
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- Ukraine Under Pressure To Accept EU Brokered Gas Deal With Russia: Resists High Prices Demanded By Russia