Apple to Launch Cheaper iPhone in Late 2013: Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 9, 2013 9:41 PM EST
As Wall Street Journal reports, citing sources close to the company, Apple's budget iPhone will resemble the standard model, but may substitute the regular aluminium case with a polycarbonate plastic chassis. Following Wall Street Journal's report, Taiwanese site Digitimes reported on Tuesday that Apple is allegedly crafting an inexpensive iPhone model.
"Apple Inc. is working on a lower-end iPhone, according to people briefed on the matter, a big shift in strategy as its supremacy in smartphones has slipped. While Apple has explored such a device for years, the plan has been progressing and a less expensive version of the flagship device could launch as soon as later this year, one of the people said," The WSJ reported.
The report further clarifies Apple has shifted focus from its smartphone line for the first time, ever since the company launched its first iPhone variant in 2007. The report further hints that Apple "could decide not to move forward with the device."
Apple has not yet confirmed the report. It is also speculated that the parts of the low cost iPhone model would be made of recycled iPhones. Apple's faces stiff competition from its rival Android-smartphone-makers, with decline in its smartphone market share through the third quarter of last year notwithstanding. The market share of Apple slipped down to 14.6 percent from 23 percent between the fourth quarter of 2011 and the first quarter of 2012.
Meanwhile, a Stuff.co.nz report suggested that the upcoming low-cost Apple iPhone would be priced as low as $500 and rumoured to be touted as "iPhone mini".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- #Snapgate: iPad Air 2 Breaks While Undergoing Bend Test
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS