Indian Shares Flat; Tata Motors Surges 4.4 Percent
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 9, 2013 7:33 PM EST
Indian stock markets were trading flat in the afternoon session on Wednesday as gains in auto sector were offset by declines in consumer durables and FMCG sector shares.
The 30-share BSE Sensex gained 0.16 percent or 31.01 points to 19,773.53 and the 50-share NSE Nifty advanced 0.01 percent or 0.45 points to 6,002.15.
Markets opened on a high note, tracking positive cues from Asian peers on hopes for a better-than-expected U.S. earnings season after positive start from Alcoa. Alcoa, the largest U.S. aluminum producer, reported fourth quarter sales that beat estimates and lifted optimism about earnings season. However, Indian markets pared earlier gains on profit booking in select FMCG and Consumer durable shares.
Alcoa on late Tuesday said that said it swung to the fourth quarter net income of $242 million or $0.21 per share compared to a net loss of $191 million or $0.18 per share in the same period last year. Quarterly revenue fell 2 percent to $5.90 billion but topped analysts’ estimation of $5.60 billion.
Tata Motors climbed 4.47 percent after the company stock was upgraded to an “outperform” rating from an “underperform” rating at Credit Suisse.
Among the other stocks, Suzlon Energy rallied 6.78 percent and Havells India surged 4.60 percent while HDIL rose 3.47 percent.
Bharti Airtel Ltd. gained 1.24 percent and HPCL gained 1.41 percent while Larsen & Toubro advanced 0.69 percent after plunging more than 5 percent in the last four sessions.
In FMCG sector, ITC declined 1.33 percent and Hindustan Unilever fell 0.55 percent while United Breweries Ltd. plunged 3.27 percent.
Among the sectoral indices, auto and health care sectors gained 1.44 and 0.56 percent, respectively, while consumer durables and FMGC sectors fell 0.97 percent and 0.79 percent, respectively.
The overall market breadth was positive with 1510 advanced against 1277 declines. The BSE's Midcap Index gained 0.32 percent to 7,359.86 and Smallcap Index advanced 0.36 percent to 7,662.06. CNX midcap Index gained 0.27 percent and CNX IT fell 0.53 percent.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories