Indian Shares Flat; Tata Motors Surges 4.4 Percent
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 9, 2013 7:33 PM EST
Indian stock markets were trading flat in the afternoon session on Wednesday as gains in auto sector were offset by declines in consumer durables and FMCG sector shares.
The 30-share BSE Sensex gained 0.16 percent or 31.01 points to 19,773.53 and the 50-share NSE Nifty advanced 0.01 percent or 0.45 points to 6,002.15.
Markets opened on a high note, tracking positive cues from Asian peers on hopes for a better-than-expected U.S. earnings season after positive start from Alcoa. Alcoa, the largest U.S. aluminum producer, reported fourth quarter sales that beat estimates and lifted optimism about earnings season. However, Indian markets pared earlier gains on profit booking in select FMCG and Consumer durable shares.
Alcoa on late Tuesday said that said it swung to the fourth quarter net income of $242 million or $0.21 per share compared to a net loss of $191 million or $0.18 per share in the same period last year. Quarterly revenue fell 2 percent to $5.90 billion but topped analysts’ estimation of $5.60 billion.
Tata Motors climbed 4.47 percent after the company stock was upgraded to an “outperform” rating from an “underperform” rating at Credit Suisse.
Among the other stocks, Suzlon Energy rallied 6.78 percent and Havells India surged 4.60 percent while HDIL rose 3.47 percent.
Bharti Airtel Ltd. gained 1.24 percent and HPCL gained 1.41 percent while Larsen & Toubro advanced 0.69 percent after plunging more than 5 percent in the last four sessions.
In FMCG sector, ITC declined 1.33 percent and Hindustan Unilever fell 0.55 percent while United Breweries Ltd. plunged 3.27 percent.
Among the sectoral indices, auto and health care sectors gained 1.44 and 0.56 percent, respectively, while consumer durables and FMGC sectors fell 0.97 percent and 0.79 percent, respectively.
The overall market breadth was positive with 1510 advanced against 1277 declines. The BSE's Midcap Index gained 0.32 percent to 7,359.86 and Smallcap Index advanced 0.36 percent to 7,662.06. CNX midcap Index gained 0.27 percent and CNX IT fell 0.53 percent.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0