Odd Couple News: 70-year-old Man in Saudi Arabia Marries a 15-year-old Girl
By Jenalyn Villamarin | January 9, 2013 11:25 AM EST
There is no legal age when it comes to marriage in Saudi Arabia. However, human right workers are outraged this time after a 70-year-old man reportedly married a 15-year-old girl.
According to the CNN report, the marriage became a controversial topic after the unnamed man officially filed a complaint that his teenager wife tricked him. The 70-year-old man revealed that his wife claimed she is already 25 years old when they got married. Also, the man told CNN that he even paid a dowry of $20,000 to the girl's parents.
"She is not 15 as everybody claims. She's 25 years old and she's mature enough to make her own decisions. I was fooled by the girl's family," the man stated. Local officials think that the teenager wife and elderly husband got into an argument which provoked the young wife to go back to her parents.
Dr. Hadi Al-Yami, Head of the Human Rights Commission Asir Branch, revealed the unnamed young girl is from the Al-Hurath village of Jizan province in southwestern Saudi Arabia close to the border of Yemen. Also, Dr. Al-Yami confirmed that the commission will offer help to the teenager and her family particularly legal help where the marriage will be formally dissolved.
Meanwhile, the controversial union provoked the members of the Human Rights Commission and other activist groups to have a law implementation that will indicate a minimum age requirement for marriage. The groups proposed that anyone below the age of 18 will get legal consent to marry.
Dr. Suhaila Zein al-Abedin of the Saudi National Association for Human Rights expressed concern not only with the huge age gap but the conditions of the marriage as well. "When you consider the very large difference in age, it looks more like this was not a marriage, but like the girl was sold. The girl's parents need to be held responsible for this," Dr. al-Abedin declared.
Some activists posted on the social networking site "Twitter" just to voice out their frustration over the serious matter. "It's only when there's enough public outrage that we can fight #childmarriage. We are not angry enough to help that 15 y/o & others like her," well-known Egyptian activist Mona Eltahawy posted on her Twitter account @monaeltahawy.
Yemeni activist named NoonArabia posted: "#ChildMarriage is a violation of human rights http://www.humanrightsdefence.org/child-marriage-as-an-human-rights-issue.html . . . #RunAwayBride #PTs."
"#ChildMarriage is a result of dehumanizing female humans and degrading them to 'treats' in alleged paradise. Fight dehumanization!" Egyptian Kareem Bassem commented on @Kareemb_ Twitter account.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- Auckland Gay Men Warned of Having Sex in Bushes of Public Park
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Apple iOS 8 Can Trump Google Android 5.0 L Upon September 17 Release
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet