David Bowie Turns 66: His Life In Pictures
January 9, 2013 9:37 AM EST
David Bowie fans received some exciting news on Tuesday, which marks the rocker's 66th birthday.
It was announced via the music legend’s website that his album “The Next Day” is set to be released on March 12.
“In recent years radio silence has been broken only by endless speculation, rumor and wishful thinking ....a new record...who would have ever thought it, who'd have ever dreamed it! After all David is the kind of artist who writes and performs what he wants when he wants...when he has something to say as opposed to something to sell. Today he definitely has something to say.”
Bowie’s 30th album marks his first release in ten years. Fans can pre-order the standard or deluxe version of the album, which consists of 14 songs, on iTunes.
“The Next Day” has already reached number one of the UK iTunes chart and has been a trending topic on Twitter. Thousands of the artist’s fans have taken to his offical Facebook page to express their excitement for the upcoming release and post birthday wishes.
Recorded in New York, “Where Are We Now” was produced by Tony Visconti, who has collaborated with the musician on several albums including “Space Odyssey,” released in 1969, and the 1974 record “Diamond Dogs.”
Born David Robert Jones, Bowie took the music scene by storm in 1971 after the release of his hit single “Changes,” off his album “Hunky Dory.” The following year, his album “The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust” became a global sensation.
His early albums not only introduced his unconventional sound to the masses, it also established the rocker as a dynamic performer with an unmistakable style.
His later releases, like “Young Americans” (1976) and “Let’s Dance” (1983) were also chart-toppers.
For over four decades, the London native has proven to be an innovative artist and creative visionary. His work has spanned a variety of genres, including pop and electronica.
As of today, Bowie has sold over 130 million albums globally.
The “Life on Mars” singer has expressed himself through a variety of different mediums, including film. Bowie made his screen debut as an alien in Nicolas Roea’s 1976 film “The Man Who Fell to Earth.” He later appeared in the beloved fantasy “Labyrinth” and Martin Scorsese’s “The Last Temptation of Christ.”
The performer was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1996 and in 2004 was named one of the “Greatest Rock Stars of All Time” by Rolling Stone magazine. In 2006, he was honored with the Lifetime Achievement Award at the Grammys.
In June of 2004 he suffered a heart attack following a performance at the Hurricane Festival in Scheeßel, Germany. He has not toured since.
Bowie and Somali-born supermodel Iman celebrated their 20th wedding anniversary in June of 2012.
According to Yahoo! News, the Victoria and Albert Museum in London is set to open a retrospective on the glam-rock sensation titled "David Bowie Is,” in March.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Beyonce &Jay Z Marriage Story: Bey Not Attracted to Jay, Married Him for Professional Growth - Reports
- Kendra Wilkinson's Divorce Troubles: Hank Baskett Cheated Before Allegedly Caught with Transexual Model - Reports
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers, Speculations: Stana Katic in More ‘Beast’ Action, Nathan Fillion Mulls Caskett Wedding Schedule
- Scandal Season 4 Update: Premiere Episode Title Revealed, A Different New Season
- Transfer News: In Demand Everton Midfielder Silence Speculations by Penning New Deal [VIDEO]
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Reebok Launches Bacon Line to Lure CrossFit and Paleo Diet Fans
- Transfer News: Star Midfielder Pledges Future with Manchester City [VIDEO]
- ACT Party's Demand to Re Consider Maoris Privileges Evokes Reprimand