David Bowie Turns 66: His Life In Pictures
January 9, 2013 9:37 AM EST
David Bowie fans received some exciting news on Tuesday, which marks the rocker's 66th birthday.
It was announced via the music legend’s website that his album “The Next Day” is set to be released on March 12.
“In recent years radio silence has been broken only by endless speculation, rumor and wishful thinking ....a new record...who would have ever thought it, who'd have ever dreamed it! After all David is the kind of artist who writes and performs what he wants when he wants...when he has something to say as opposed to something to sell. Today he definitely has something to say.”
Bowie’s 30th album marks his first release in ten years. Fans can pre-order the standard or deluxe version of the album, which consists of 14 songs, on iTunes.
“The Next Day” has already reached number one of the UK iTunes chart and has been a trending topic on Twitter. Thousands of the artist’s fans have taken to his offical Facebook page to express their excitement for the upcoming release and post birthday wishes.
Recorded in New York, “Where Are We Now” was produced by Tony Visconti, who has collaborated with the musician on several albums including “Space Odyssey,” released in 1969, and the 1974 record “Diamond Dogs.”
Born David Robert Jones, Bowie took the music scene by storm in 1971 after the release of his hit single “Changes,” off his album “Hunky Dory.” The following year, his album “The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust” became a global sensation.
His early albums not only introduced his unconventional sound to the masses, it also established the rocker as a dynamic performer with an unmistakable style.
His later releases, like “Young Americans” (1976) and “Let’s Dance” (1983) were also chart-toppers.
For over four decades, the London native has proven to be an innovative artist and creative visionary. His work has spanned a variety of genres, including pop and electronica.
As of today, Bowie has sold over 130 million albums globally.
The “Life on Mars” singer has expressed himself through a variety of different mediums, including film. Bowie made his screen debut as an alien in Nicolas Roea’s 1976 film “The Man Who Fell to Earth.” He later appeared in the beloved fantasy “Labyrinth” and Martin Scorsese’s “The Last Temptation of Christ.”
The performer was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1996 and in 2004 was named one of the “Greatest Rock Stars of All Time” by Rolling Stone magazine. In 2006, he was honored with the Lifetime Achievement Award at the Grammys.
In June of 2004 he suffered a heart attack following a performance at the Hurricane Festival in Scheeßel, Germany. He has not toured since.
Bowie and Somali-born supermodel Iman celebrated their 20th wedding anniversary in June of 2012.
According to Yahoo! News, the Victoria and Albert Museum in London is set to open a retrospective on the glam-rock sensation titled "David Bowie Is,” in March.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 'Fast & Furious 7': New Brian O' Connor And Dominic Toretto Scene Surfaces
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Mariah Carey-Nick Cannon Divorce: Mariah Claims Infidelity, Nick's Affair With Amber Rose To Blame -- Report
- Taylor Swift And Harry Styles Spotted Together Enjoying A Concert; Songstress ‘Still Not Over’ 1D Singer—Reports
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 21 Spoilers: Nick Shocks His Family And Summer’s Past Gets Revealed
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- Julie Bishop Condemns Barack Obama For Overlooking Australia’s Commitment in Protecting Great Barrier Reef