David Bowie Turns 66: His Life In Pictures
January 9, 2013 9:37 AM EST
David Bowie fans received some exciting news on Tuesday, which marks the rocker's 66th birthday.
It was announced via the music legend’s website that his album “The Next Day” is set to be released on March 12.
“In recent years radio silence has been broken only by endless speculation, rumor and wishful thinking ....a new record...who would have ever thought it, who'd have ever dreamed it! After all David is the kind of artist who writes and performs what he wants when he wants...when he has something to say as opposed to something to sell. Today he definitely has something to say.”
Bowie’s 30th album marks his first release in ten years. Fans can pre-order the standard or deluxe version of the album, which consists of 14 songs, on iTunes.
“The Next Day” has already reached number one of the UK iTunes chart and has been a trending topic on Twitter. Thousands of the artist’s fans have taken to his offical Facebook page to express their excitement for the upcoming release and post birthday wishes.
Recorded in New York, “Where Are We Now” was produced by Tony Visconti, who has collaborated with the musician on several albums including “Space Odyssey,” released in 1969, and the 1974 record “Diamond Dogs.”
Born David Robert Jones, Bowie took the music scene by storm in 1971 after the release of his hit single “Changes,” off his album “Hunky Dory.” The following year, his album “The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust” became a global sensation.
His early albums not only introduced his unconventional sound to the masses, it also established the rocker as a dynamic performer with an unmistakable style.
His later releases, like “Young Americans” (1976) and “Let’s Dance” (1983) were also chart-toppers.
For over four decades, the London native has proven to be an innovative artist and creative visionary. His work has spanned a variety of genres, including pop and electronica.
As of today, Bowie has sold over 130 million albums globally.
The “Life on Mars” singer has expressed himself through a variety of different mediums, including film. Bowie made his screen debut as an alien in Nicolas Roea’s 1976 film “The Man Who Fell to Earth.” He later appeared in the beloved fantasy “Labyrinth” and Martin Scorsese’s “The Last Temptation of Christ.”
The performer was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1996 and in 2004 was named one of the “Greatest Rock Stars of All Time” by Rolling Stone magazine. In 2006, he was honored with the Lifetime Achievement Award at the Grammys.
In June of 2004 he suffered a heart attack following a performance at the Hurricane Festival in Scheeßel, Germany. He has not toured since.
Bowie and Somali-born supermodel Iman celebrated their 20th wedding anniversary in June of 2012.
According to Yahoo! News, the Victoria and Albert Museum in London is set to open a retrospective on the glam-rock sensation titled "David Bowie Is,” in March.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Hilarious Reactions For Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Secret Wedding: George Clooney, Jennifer Aniston, Billy Bob Thornton
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Episode 6 Spoilers: Next Week Tests Relationships And Sees A Shocking Exit
- Mila Kunis-Ashton Kutcher Baby; Actor ‘Not Letting Mila Out Of His Sight’
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Exclusive New Trailer, Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie’s Choice For King Arthur [VIDEO]
- ‘Castle’ Update: Watch Stana Katic, Jon, Seamus Take Bucket Challenge At Season 7 Set, Nathan Fillion Missing [VIDEOS]
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko