Congress Less Popular Than Nickelback, Donald Trump And Head Lice: Poll
January 9, 2013 7:53 AM EST
You know Congress is definitely unpopular when head lice, traffic jams, NFL replacement refs, and -- of all things -- the rock band Nickelback and real estate mogul Donald Trump score higher among American voters in a favorability poll.
Despite the 112th Congress' success in brokering a fiscal cliff deal last week, a new survey of 830 voters by Public Policy Polling (PPP) found that did nothing to change the negative views the public has of Congress. In a poll conducted between Jan. 3 and 6, the Congress scored an overall favorability rating of a mere 9 percent. Its unfavorable rating stands at 85 percent, according to PPP’s data.
The 112th Congress, which has been the most unpopular in decades, has had a consistently low favorability rating. Gallup found that its rating was 18 percent last November. That Congress has also been the least productive in recent memory in terms of bills passed into law.
“We all know Congress is unpopular,” said PPP’s President Dean Debnam in a statement. “But the fact that voters like it even less than cockroaches, lice, and Genghis Khan really shows how far its esteem has fallen with the American public over the last few weeks.”
But all is not lost.
While Congress fared no better than root canals or a colonoscopy, voters preferred it over John Edwards, the Kardashians, Lindsay Lohan, telemarketers, Communism, Fidel Castro, North Korea, gonorrhea, and meth labs, to name a few.
And here’s a list of things voters consider more favorably than Congress:
- Root canals (56-32)
- NFL replacement refs (56-29)
- Head lice (67-19)
- Nickelback (39-32)
- Colonoscopies (58-31)
- Washington political pundits (37-34)
- Carnies (39-31)
- Traffic jams (56-34)
- Cockroaches (45-43)
- Donald Trump (44-42),
- France (46-37)
- Genghis Khan (41-37)
- Used-car salesmen (57-32)
- Brussels sprouts (69-23)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Boasts Nuclear Missile Trains; 400 Strategic Warheads In Place
- New Zealand Pilot's Mysterious Death Revealed: Aped MH 370 To End His Life
- Russia Responds Angrily to US: War Drums Beat Faster and Louder as Tension Rises
- Canada Updates Millionaire Visa Scheme, Needs 50 Wealthy Immigrants
- Russia Wooing EU Right Wing Parties By Tapping Into Their Discontent Over Brussels Diktats