Could Google Crush ISPs?
By Mark Knapp | January 9, 2013 7:36 AM EST
For a while now, Google ( could take a major beating.
Google Fiber is the company’s new, high-speed Internet service that stands to best all other public ISPs when it comes to bandwidth, and at competitive prices. Currently, the service is only available in Kansas City, so it isn’t likely to crush other ISPs too soon, but Google is expanding the service, and it seems only a matter of time before it becomes a real competitor in the space.
Some of the biggest news for Google’s Internet service is word that it will be offering free WiFi in the Chelsea neighborhood of New York City. Google will offer the service freely with no set end-date. While again the service may not immediately damage other service providers, services that are both high-quality and free are not easy to compete with, and if Google can expend its Internet services, it could prove to be a strong contender in the ISP market against companies like Comcast (NASDAQ:CMCSA) or Verizon (NYSE:VZ).
with the FCC that may have significant impacts on the pricing of other ISPs, who do not share such data.
Copyright Wall St Cheat Street All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- New Zealand Economy Benefits From Australia's Big Investments; Kiwi Down After RNBZ Comments
- ETF Outlook for Thursday, January 2 (FEZ, FXI, SPY, XHB)
- January Second Trading: Always Interesting
- 13 Things Investors Learned In 2013 - Part II
- Are Diversity and Quality the Way to Profit from the Rebound in Gold and Coal?
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage