Could Google Crush ISPs?
By Mark Knapp | January 9, 2013 7:36 AM EST
For a while now, Google ( could take a major beating.
Google Fiber is the company’s new, high-speed Internet service that stands to best all other public ISPs when it comes to bandwidth, and at competitive prices. Currently, the service is only available in Kansas City, so it isn’t likely to crush other ISPs too soon, but Google is expanding the service, and it seems only a matter of time before it becomes a real competitor in the space.
Some of the biggest news for Google’s Internet service is word that it will be offering free WiFi in the Chelsea neighborhood of New York City. Google will offer the service freely with no set end-date. While again the service may not immediately damage other service providers, services that are both high-quality and free are not easy to compete with, and if Google can expend its Internet services, it could prove to be a strong contender in the ISP market against companies like Comcast (NASDAQ:CMCSA) or Verizon (NYSE:VZ).
with the FCC that may have significant impacts on the pricing of other ISPs, who do not share such data.
Copyright Wall St Cheat Street All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- New Zealand Economy Benefits From Australia's Big Investments; Kiwi Down After RNBZ Comments
- ETF Outlook for Thursday, January 2 (FEZ, FXI, SPY, XHB)
- January Second Trading: Always Interesting
- 13 Things Investors Learned In 2013 - Part II
- Are Diversity and Quality the Way to Profit from the Rebound in Gold and Coal?
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’