Miley Cyrus Speaks Out On 4Chan #CuttingForBieber Trend, Amid Justin Bieber Smoking Weed Rumors
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 9, 2013 7:46 AM EST
Although public outrage over the #CutForBieber trend – in which users posted pictures purportedly of themselves cutting their wrists in protest over Justin Bieber’s rumored drug use – has been brewing for over a day now, the singer himself has so far stayed silent on the controversy. Still, that hasn’t kept Miley Cyrus from voicing her opinion on the topic.
The #CutForBieber trend originated after Bieber was photographed at a party smoking what TMZ claimed was a “smoldering blunt.” Although the 18-year-old pop star did not specifically address the photographs he did issue what seemed like an ambiguous apology over his Twitter account the next day saying, “Everyday growing and learning. Trying to be better.”
The Twitter trend was started days after the release of the incriminating photographs, allegedly as an attempt by the internet message board 4chan to get female teen fans of Bieber’s to cut themselves in protest of the singer’s supposed drug use. As hundreds of Twitter users began posting their own parody photos in response to the cutting trend, including pictures of users pretending to cut their hair or pieces of fabric and displaying wrists covered in ketchup, the trend prompted a backlash.
Fellow pop star Miley Cyrus was among those who shared her feelings about the trend. The singer and former “Hannah Montana” actress retweeted @OfficialCANCER’s stance against the trending hashtag: "
#cutforbieber? Cutting is NOT something to joke about. There are people who are actually suffering from self-harm, this is so disrespectful."
Although Cyrus didn’t incorporate her own words in the message, the issue may be a personal one for her. According to Hollwood Life, Cyrus has been photographed on multiple occasions sporting scars on her left wrist that bear a likeness to those seen on patients who self-mutilate.
“The straight lines, the length of them, and the spacing may indicate self-injury,” Lori Vann, Lic. Professional Counselor Supervisor told the publication.
Although Miley owns several dogs, Vann said that the marks did not look like the marks of animal scratches.
“Animal cuts tend to be a little less straight and precise, a bit more jagged on the edges. The only other possible explanation would be if she were cutting roses and the thorns could have made those type of scratches,” said Vann.
In the meantime, Bieber has yet to publicly address the issue, which has already provoked the ire of some fans. “I think the WORST part about
#cutforbieber is that @justinbieberhas NOT said anything to stop it,” said Twitter user @Reenna in a tweet to followers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates