Gartner: 2013 Tech Spending To Rise 5.6%; Cloud To See Top Gains
By David Zielenziger | January 9, 2013 7:14 AM EST
Technology spending this year is expected to rise about 5.6 percent to $3.7 trillion, market researchers at Gartner (NYSE:IT) predicted, with the strongest gains coming from cloud technologies.
That’s a considerable improvement over 2012’s 2.35 percent gain on spending of only $3.58 billion, the Stamford, Conn., forecaster said. The main reason is that overall economic growth should increase, along with resulting demand for technology services, from telecommunications to devices.
Demand for electronic devices ranging from smartphones to tablets will rise 6.3 percent to $666 billion, as demand for PCs eases but thirst for tablets grows as replacement devices or first devices for consumers and business, Gartner estimates.
Meanwhile, services in the cloud for Internet-based services should climb nearly 50 percent for infrastructure, application, security and management services, with the biggest demand coming from companies in insurance, transportation, banking and securities, Gartner said.
By contrast, government demand for cloud services is expected to rise only 1 percent.
Shares of Gartner rose 45 cents to $49.03 in late Tuesday trading.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Big Bang Theory' Actor Sells His Show to CBS, Stuart Weirds Out Howard In Season 8
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- Leonardo DiCaprio Appointed United Nations' Messenger Of Peace, To Open Climate Summit In New York
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 18, 2014
- Peter Quillin Claims That Adriana Lima Will Beat Gisele In The Boxing Ring; Adriana's Weight Loss Through Boxing and A Paleo Diet
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone