Gartner: 2013 Tech Spending To Rise 5.6%; Cloud To See Top Gains
By David Zielenziger | January 9, 2013 7:14 AM EST
Technology spending this year is expected to rise about 5.6 percent to $3.7 trillion, market researchers at Gartner (NYSE:IT) predicted, with the strongest gains coming from cloud technologies.
That’s a considerable improvement over 2012’s 2.35 percent gain on spending of only $3.58 billion, the Stamford, Conn., forecaster said. The main reason is that overall economic growth should increase, along with resulting demand for technology services, from telecommunications to devices.
Demand for electronic devices ranging from smartphones to tablets will rise 6.3 percent to $666 billion, as demand for PCs eases but thirst for tablets grows as replacement devices or first devices for consumers and business, Gartner estimates.
Meanwhile, services in the cloud for Internet-based services should climb nearly 50 percent for infrastructure, application, security and management services, with the biggest demand coming from companies in insurance, transportation, banking and securities, Gartner said.
By contrast, government demand for cloud services is expected to rise only 1 percent.
Shares of Gartner rose 45 cents to $49.03 in late Tuesday trading.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- BlackBerry to Host ‘See The Bigger Picture’ Event in London, Dubai & Toronto on Sep 24
- Biggest Haul In Peru Yields 8.5 Tonnes Of Cocaine
- PS4 To Debut More Games Possibly Including ‘Beyond: Two Souls,’ ‘Dragon Quest’ and ‘Alone With You’
- UN Head Silent On New Zealand's Chances In Winning Security Council Seat
- New Magaluf Sex Scandal: 15 Men Lick Cream Off British Teen’s Naked Breasts
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display