Gartner: 2013 Tech Spending To Rise 5.6%; Cloud To See Top Gains
By David Zielenziger | January 9, 2013 7:14 AM EST
Technology spending this year is expected to rise about 5.6 percent to $3.7 trillion, market researchers at Gartner (NYSE:IT) predicted, with the strongest gains coming from cloud technologies.
That’s a considerable improvement over 2012’s 2.35 percent gain on spending of only $3.58 billion, the Stamford, Conn., forecaster said. The main reason is that overall economic growth should increase, along with resulting demand for technology services, from telecommunications to devices.
Demand for electronic devices ranging from smartphones to tablets will rise 6.3 percent to $666 billion, as demand for PCs eases but thirst for tablets grows as replacement devices or first devices for consumers and business, Gartner estimates.
Meanwhile, services in the cloud for Internet-based services should climb nearly 50 percent for infrastructure, application, security and management services, with the biggest demand coming from companies in insurance, transportation, banking and securities, Gartner said.
By contrast, government demand for cloud services is expected to rise only 1 percent.
Shares of Gartner rose 45 cents to $49.03 in late Tuesday trading.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 12 Terrifyingly Healthy Halloween Treats
- How To Update LG Nexus 4 To Android 4.4.4 KitKat Using LiquidSmooth Custom ROM
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- Australian MP Andrew Wilkie Slammed For 'Embarrassing' ICC Letter To Prosecute Abbott Gov't
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]