Gartner: 2013 Tech Spending To Rise 5.6%; Cloud To See Top Gains
By David Zielenziger | January 9, 2013 7:14 AM EST
Technology spending this year is expected to rise about 5.6 percent to $3.7 trillion, market researchers at Gartner (NYSE:IT) predicted, with the strongest gains coming from cloud technologies.
That’s a considerable improvement over 2012’s 2.35 percent gain on spending of only $3.58 billion, the Stamford, Conn., forecaster said. The main reason is that overall economic growth should increase, along with resulting demand for technology services, from telecommunications to devices.
Demand for electronic devices ranging from smartphones to tablets will rise 6.3 percent to $666 billion, as demand for PCs eases but thirst for tablets grows as replacement devices or first devices for consumers and business, Gartner estimates.
Meanwhile, services in the cloud for Internet-based services should climb nearly 50 percent for infrastructure, application, security and management services, with the biggest demand coming from companies in insurance, transportation, banking and securities, Gartner said.
By contrast, government demand for cloud services is expected to rise only 1 percent.
Shares of Gartner rose 45 cents to $49.03 in late Tuesday trading.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'Furious 7' Star Jordana Brewster Reveals Paul Walker's 'Bittersweet' Presence In the Film: Says 'Fans Would Get To Revisit Him'
- 'Fury' Movie Review: Best And Worst Moments Of The Film [WATCH VIDEO]
- Arsenal FC: Gunners Legend Robert Pires Knows Wenger's 'Missing Piece' To Win Silverware
- Bruce Jenner Gets Rid of Bizarre Birthday Manicure For Lunch Out With His Daughters
- Liverpool FC: Reds Striker Daniel Sturridge Looks To Score Goals Upon Return
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family