Honey Nut Cheerios: Kevin Garnett's Comments About Carmelo Anthony's Wife Isn't First Time Celtics Star Connected To Harsh Trash Talk
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 9, 2013 6:43 AM EST
Kevin Garnett allegedly told Carmelo Anthony that LaLa Vasquez, Anthony’s wife, “tastes like Honey Nut Cheerios” during Monday night’s Knicks-Celtics game.
The report by Black Sports Online has not been confirmed by any other news outlets, but if true, saying Vasquez “tastes like Honey Nut Cheerios” isn’t the first time Garnett has been accusing of spewing harsh words at his opponents.
The Honey Nut Cheerios line is allegedly what made Melo so enraged that he waited by the Boston Celtics team bus following Monday night’s game in search of Garnett. Madison Square Garden security and New York City police officers were dispatched to the scene to diffuse Melo, according to ESPN.
Garnett, who is known for his trash talking on the court, appeared to cross the line when referencing Anthony’s wife.
There are other instances of Garnett allegedly taking his trash talking too far during games.
In 2010, Detroit Pistons forward Charlie Villanueva claimed the talented Celtics superstar called him “a cancer patient.” Villanueva has a form of alopecia that prevents hair growth.
"KG called me a cancer patient, I'm pissed because, u know how many people died from cancer, and he's tossing it like it's a joke,” Villanueva tweeted at the time, according to ESPN Boston. "I wouldn't even trip about that, but a cancer patient, I know way 2 many people who passed away from it, and I have a special place 4 those.”
Garnett denied saying those words.
"My comment to Charlie Villanueva was in fact 'You are cancerous to your team and our league,'" Garnett said in a statement. "I would never be insensitive to the brave struggle that cancer patients endure. I have lost loved ones to this deadly disease and have a family member currently undergoing treatment. I would never say anything that distasteful. The game of life is far bigger than the game of basketball."
Garnett allegedly also crossed the line in 1999 during a game on Mother’s Day when his Minnesota Timberwolves squared off against Tim Duncan and the San Antonio Spurs.
Duncan’s mother died of cancer when he was 14, and her death was well-known to those who follow basketball.
Just before Duncan attempted two free throws, Garnett allegedly shouted, “Happy Mother’s Day, mother-----!”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money