Honey Nut Cheerios: Kevin Garnett's Comments About Carmelo Anthony's Wife Isn't First Time Celtics Star Connected To Harsh Trash Talk
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 9, 2013 6:43 AM EST
Kevin Garnett allegedly told Carmelo Anthony that LaLa Vasquez, Anthony’s wife, “tastes like Honey Nut Cheerios” during Monday night’s Knicks-Celtics game.
The report by Black Sports Online has not been confirmed by any other news outlets, but if true, saying Vasquez “tastes like Honey Nut Cheerios” isn’t the first time Garnett has been accusing of spewing harsh words at his opponents.
The Honey Nut Cheerios line is allegedly what made Melo so enraged that he waited by the Boston Celtics team bus following Monday night’s game in search of Garnett. Madison Square Garden security and New York City police officers were dispatched to the scene to diffuse Melo, according to ESPN.
Garnett, who is known for his trash talking on the court, appeared to cross the line when referencing Anthony’s wife.
There are other instances of Garnett allegedly taking his trash talking too far during games.
In 2010, Detroit Pistons forward Charlie Villanueva claimed the talented Celtics superstar called him “a cancer patient.” Villanueva has a form of alopecia that prevents hair growth.
"KG called me a cancer patient, I'm pissed because, u know how many people died from cancer, and he's tossing it like it's a joke,” Villanueva tweeted at the time, according to ESPN Boston. "I wouldn't even trip about that, but a cancer patient, I know way 2 many people who passed away from it, and I have a special place 4 those.”
Garnett denied saying those words.
"My comment to Charlie Villanueva was in fact 'You are cancerous to your team and our league,'" Garnett said in a statement. "I would never be insensitive to the brave struggle that cancer patients endure. I have lost loved ones to this deadly disease and have a family member currently undergoing treatment. I would never say anything that distasteful. The game of life is far bigger than the game of basketball."
Garnett allegedly also crossed the line in 1999 during a game on Mother’s Day when his Minnesota Timberwolves squared off against Tim Duncan and the San Antonio Spurs.
Duncan’s mother died of cancer when he was 14, and her death was well-known to those who follow basketball.
Just before Duncan attempted two free throws, Garnett allegedly shouted, “Happy Mother’s Day, mother-----!”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced