Global Distressed Debt and Bankruptcy Restructuring Deals Double in 2012 - Thomson Reuters
By Lianna Brinded | January 9, 2013 12:20 AM EST
Global distressed debt and bankruptcy restructuring deal activity doubled in 2012, after Greece buoyed the total volume with the largest restructuring trade on record.
Completed deals rose to $422.6bn last year, including the $263.1bn debt exchange of Greek government bonds last spring[Chart 1].
However, there were 344 fewer deals compared to the same period in 2011 and, if you strip out the Greek transaction, deal volume actually slumped by 23 percent year-on-year.
Throughout 2012, Europe, Middle East and Africa distressed debt restructuring deal volume totalled $342bn, with the government sector dominating the marketplace with 81 percent of the volume largely due to the Greece restructuring [Chart 2].
If you exclude the deals involving sovereign debt, activity was down by nearly a third last year.
Elsewhere, US deal activity was led by the media & entertainment industry, but overall deal volume and transactions decreased by nearly 20 percent in 2012.
In the Asia-Pacific, including Japan, deal volumes fell by a quarter from the total value reached in 2011.
The telecom sector drove activity by capturing nearly half of the market-share.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: Australia Mulls To Review Airport Security Policy, Could Allow Scissors, Metal Cutlery Back In Planes
- 5 Likely Reasons Why You Are Not Getting Hired
- This Is How Obesity Weighs Down Global Economy By 2 Trillion Dollars Every Year
- Consumer Alert: Retailer Simons Goes Out Of Quebec, To Open Five Stores Across Canada
- Signs That You Are A Smartphone Zombie (And The Dangers This Poses)
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Nuclear War: Putin Certain To Launch Battle To Avoid Corruption Charges, Whistleblower Claims