Global Distressed Debt and Bankruptcy Restructuring Deals Double in 2012 - Thomson Reuters
By Lianna Brinded | January 9, 2013 12:20 AM EST
Global distressed debt and bankruptcy restructuring deal activity doubled in 2012, after Greece buoyed the total volume with the largest restructuring trade on record.
Completed deals rose to $422.6bn last year, including the $263.1bn debt exchange of Greek government bonds last spring[Chart 1].
However, there were 344 fewer deals compared to the same period in 2011 and, if you strip out the Greek transaction, deal volume actually slumped by 23 percent year-on-year.
Throughout 2012, Europe, Middle East and Africa distressed debt restructuring deal volume totalled $342bn, with the government sector dominating the marketplace with 81 percent of the volume largely due to the Greece restructuring [Chart 2].
If you exclude the deals involving sovereign debt, activity was down by nearly a third last year.
Elsewhere, US deal activity was led by the media & entertainment industry, but overall deal volume and transactions decreased by nearly 20 percent in 2012.
In the Asia-Pacific, including Japan, deal volumes fell by a quarter from the total value reached in 2011.
The telecom sector drove activity by capturing nearly half of the market-share.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Vatican 2014 Final Synod Report: Gays Still ‘Unwelcome’ in Catholic Church, LGBT Thankful for First Step
- New Zealand Losing $9.4 Billion Every Year to Fraud
- 5 Cities With The Highest Cost Of Living In 2014
- Ebola ‘Cruise Ship’: Holidaymakers Furious Organisers Hid the Truth About Dallas Health Care Worker
- Canada Conducts Practice Drill Of Ebola Rapid Response Teams, To Send Experimental VSV-BOV Vaccine To WHO
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage