Global Distressed Debt and Bankruptcy Restructuring Deals Double in 2012 - Thomson Reuters
By Lianna Brinded | January 9, 2013 12:20 AM EST
Global distressed debt and bankruptcy restructuring deal activity doubled in 2012, after Greece buoyed the total volume with the largest restructuring trade on record.
Completed deals rose to $422.6bn last year, including the $263.1bn debt exchange of Greek government bonds last spring[Chart 1].
However, there were 344 fewer deals compared to the same period in 2011 and, if you strip out the Greek transaction, deal volume actually slumped by 23 percent year-on-year.
Throughout 2012, Europe, Middle East and Africa distressed debt restructuring deal volume totalled $342bn, with the government sector dominating the marketplace with 81 percent of the volume largely due to the Greece restructuring [Chart 2].
If you exclude the deals involving sovereign debt, activity was down by nearly a third last year.
Elsewhere, US deal activity was led by the media & entertainment industry, but overall deal volume and transactions decreased by nearly 20 percent in 2012.
In the Asia-Pacific, including Japan, deal volumes fell by a quarter from the total value reached in 2011.
The telecom sector drove activity by capturing nearly half of the market-share.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown