State Panel Urges Privatization Of LIPA
By VALLI MEENAKSHI RAMANATHAN | January 8, 2013 11:09 PM EST
A New York State Commission has recommended the privatization of the Long Island Power Authority (LIPA), the electricity provider for Long Island and the Rockways that was slow to restore power to the customers following Superstorm Sandy in October.
The storm left more than 90 percent of the 1.1 million LIPA customers on Long Island without power for over two weeks, Reuters has reported.
LIPA, which has a services agreement with UK’s National Grid Plc, was found to have an operational disconnect with the UK firm by the Moreland Commission set up by New York Governor Andrew Cuomo that resulted in an inadequate response to Sandy.
Apparently, the commission has also recommended fines for utilities that fail to meet the expectations to the tune of $100,000 a day to as high as $2 million, the Wall Street Journal has reported.
"We are reviewing the report and will continue to cooperate with the state and the Moreland Commission to do what is in the best interest of Long Island's ratepayers," LIPA said in a statement.
"The costs of privatization ... are significant and none of these things are going to come about without a probable increase in rates," Michael Fragin, who served on the LIPA board of trustees' finance committee through 2011, said.
The Moreland Commission was set up to investigate why it took long for some of the state's utilities, including LIPA, to restore power after Sandy and make recommendations toward improving the state's power sector.
The commission has recommended for a complete overhaul of LIPA and the system by which power is delivered on Long Island, Reuters has indicated.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- #Snapgate: iPad Air 2 Breaks While Undergoing Bend Test
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS