German November Exports Decline 3.4% on Weak Eurozone Demand
By Jerin Mathew | January 8, 2013 9:22 PM EST
Exports from Germany declined in November, as the largest economy in Europe remained vulnerable to the economic weakness across the continent.
The Federal Statistical Office said that the country's exports dropped 3.4 percent to €89.6bn (£73.1bn, $117.5bn) in November on a seasonally adjusted basis from the previous month. Compared with a year earlier, exports were unchanged.
The monthly decline was the steepest in more than a year and worse than an average 0.5 percent drop estimated by a group of economists surveyed by Bloomberg.
Monthly imports were down 3.7 percent at €75.1bn from the month before.
The trade balance widened to €17bn from €15.7bn in October, while the surplus in the current account, a measure of all trade including services, rose to €15.3bn from €13.2bn.
Growth in Germany, which is the world's second-biggest exporter after China, slowed in 2012 amid the credit crisis in the eurozone after two strong years. The economy is expected to recover in 2013 after the final quarter of 2012.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel will meet Greek Prime Minister Antonis Samaras later in the day to review the progress of reforms in Greece. Germany is also scheduled to report its factory orders for November today.
Analysts from Lloyds Bank expect orders to fall 1.5 percent in November, after surging by 3.9 percent month-on-month in October.
"Stronger domestic demand in China should help foster a modest recovery in the coming months, although event risk relating to sovereign debt positions and weak demand in the euro area as a whole is expected to see German GDP growth remain below potential this year," the analysts said.
The political reforms agreed upon by the members and the measures by the European Central Bank are expected to help the recovery of the euro area economy. The region is likely to see the "beginning of a recovery in the second part" of 2013, according to ECB President Mario Draghi.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Multi-Million Pound Law Suit Looms Over Putin’s Head, Assets At Risk
- 5 Uncanny Jobs That Actually Pay Very Well
- Ebola Virus on the Loose: World Cautioned as Infection Moves; Global Airports on High Alert; Kills Liberian Doctor, Infects American Worker
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Advisory: Britons Told to Leave Libya ASAP, UK Issues Travel Ban
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6