Tottenham In Discussions With £10m Moroccan Midfielder – Report
By Vanessa Keller | January 8, 2013 9:14 PM EST
Reports in France claim Tottenham have entered discussions with Montpellier to purchase playmaker Younes Belhanda, with the 22-year-old high on Andre Villas-Boas' wishlist for the January transfer window.
Villas-Boas is believed to be looking to build on his attacking options at Spurs, and with Belhanda currently boasting a record of eight goals in 22 appearances for his current side, Le10Sport claims the north London club hold him in very high regard.
A deal for Belhanda to join Fenerbahce looked close at the beginning of the month, but the Turkish club's vice president Abdullah Kiğılı admitted yesterday that the asking price was too much for the Morocco international.
"We have put our efforts to sign Younes Belhanda on hold, the asking price for Belhanda has risen to an astronomical level," he told Turkish Football.
"We met with Belhanda however, the current price being quoted is too high. We are in talks with a few other players however, will not be revealing any names.
"As soon as we tell the media who we are negotiating with, the player's price increases. We will have completed our transfers within the next week."
This is believed to have put Tottenham on high alert for the £10 million-rated midfielder, who was named France's young player of the year last season.
The star could also serve to be a long-term replacement for the departed Luka Modric, who made a big money move to Real Madrid in the summer and has left a hole in the middle of the park.
Villas-Boas had been coy over whether Tottenham would have a busy transfer window, but so far the side have been very active, wrapping up deals for long-term target Ezekiel Fryers and signing a pre-contract agreement with Lewis Holtby to make a move to White Hart Lane in the summer on a free transfer.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June