Tottenham In Discussions With £10m Moroccan Midfielder – Report
By Vanessa Keller | January 8, 2013 9:14 PM EST
Reports in France claim Tottenham have entered discussions with Montpellier to purchase playmaker Younes Belhanda, with the 22-year-old high on Andre Villas-Boas' wishlist for the January transfer window.
Villas-Boas is believed to be looking to build on his attacking options at Spurs, and with Belhanda currently boasting a record of eight goals in 22 appearances for his current side, Le10Sport claims the north London club hold him in very high regard.
A deal for Belhanda to join Fenerbahce looked close at the beginning of the month, but the Turkish club's vice president Abdullah Kiğılı admitted yesterday that the asking price was too much for the Morocco international.
"We have put our efforts to sign Younes Belhanda on hold, the asking price for Belhanda has risen to an astronomical level," he told Turkish Football.
"We met with Belhanda however, the current price being quoted is too high. We are in talks with a few other players however, will not be revealing any names.
"As soon as we tell the media who we are negotiating with, the player's price increases. We will have completed our transfers within the next week."
This is believed to have put Tottenham on high alert for the £10 million-rated midfielder, who was named France's young player of the year last season.
The star could also serve to be a long-term replacement for the departed Luka Modric, who made a big money move to Real Madrid in the summer and has left a hole in the middle of the park.
Villas-Boas had been coy over whether Tottenham would have a busy transfer window, but so far the side have been very active, wrapping up deals for long-term target Ezekiel Fryers and signing a pre-contract agreement with Lewis Holtby to make a move to White Hart Lane in the summer on a free transfer.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Striker Fernando Torres Heads To AC Milan
- Top 10 WTA Fastest Tennis Serves of All Time
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Signing A Striker Is Still Considered By Wenger
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million