Tottenham In Discussions With £10m Moroccan Midfielder – Report
By Vanessa Keller | January 8, 2013 9:14 PM EST
Reports in France claim Tottenham have entered discussions with Montpellier to purchase playmaker Younes Belhanda, with the 22-year-old high on Andre Villas-Boas' wishlist for the January transfer window.
Villas-Boas is believed to be looking to build on his attacking options at Spurs, and with Belhanda currently boasting a record of eight goals in 22 appearances for his current side, Le10Sport claims the north London club hold him in very high regard.
A deal for Belhanda to join Fenerbahce looked close at the beginning of the month, but the Turkish club's vice president Abdullah Kiğılı admitted yesterday that the asking price was too much for the Morocco international.
"We have put our efforts to sign Younes Belhanda on hold, the asking price for Belhanda has risen to an astronomical level," he told Turkish Football.
"We met with Belhanda however, the current price being quoted is too high. We are in talks with a few other players however, will not be revealing any names.
"As soon as we tell the media who we are negotiating with, the player's price increases. We will have completed our transfers within the next week."
This is believed to have put Tottenham on high alert for the £10 million-rated midfielder, who was named France's young player of the year last season.
The star could also serve to be a long-term replacement for the departed Luka Modric, who made a big money move to Real Madrid in the summer and has left a hole in the middle of the park.
Villas-Boas had been coy over whether Tottenham would have a busy transfer window, but so far the side have been very active, wrapping up deals for long-term target Ezekiel Fryers and signing a pre-contract agreement with Lewis Holtby to make a move to White Hart Lane in the summer on a free transfer.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports