Tottenham In Discussions With £10m Moroccan Midfielder – Report
By Vanessa Keller | January 8, 2013 9:14 PM EST
Reports in France claim Tottenham have entered discussions with Montpellier to purchase playmaker Younes Belhanda, with the 22-year-old high on Andre Villas-Boas' wishlist for the January transfer window.
Villas-Boas is believed to be looking to build on his attacking options at Spurs, and with Belhanda currently boasting a record of eight goals in 22 appearances for his current side, Le10Sport claims the north London club hold him in very high regard.
A deal for Belhanda to join Fenerbahce looked close at the beginning of the month, but the Turkish club's vice president Abdullah Kiğılı admitted yesterday that the asking price was too much for the Morocco international.
"We have put our efforts to sign Younes Belhanda on hold, the asking price for Belhanda has risen to an astronomical level," he told Turkish Football.
"We met with Belhanda however, the current price being quoted is too high. We are in talks with a few other players however, will not be revealing any names.
"As soon as we tell the media who we are negotiating with, the player's price increases. We will have completed our transfers within the next week."
This is believed to have put Tottenham on high alert for the £10 million-rated midfielder, who was named France's young player of the year last season.
The star could also serve to be a long-term replacement for the departed Luka Modric, who made a big money move to Real Madrid in the summer and has left a hole in the middle of the park.
Villas-Boas had been coy over whether Tottenham would have a busy transfer window, but so far the side have been very active, wrapping up deals for long-term target Ezekiel Fryers and signing a pre-contract agreement with Lewis Holtby to make a move to White Hart Lane in the summer on a free transfer.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money