Delhi Gang Rape Case: Court Orders In-Camera Trial, Imposes Gag on Media
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 8, 2013 6:36 PM EST
Amid all the high drama, the metropolitan magistrate's court in Delhi ordered for an in-camera trial in the Delhi gang rape case on Monday.
The magistrate, Namrita Aggarwal, also imposed gag on media which restricts printing and publishing of the proceedings without the court's permission.
Aggarwal reproved the crowd saying that the courtroom was jam-packed with disturbances from every side.
Ordering the public and media to vacate the traill room Aggarwal said, "Keeping in view the situation which has arisen in this case, proceedings, including the inquiry and the trial, will be held in-camera. I am invoking Sections 327 (2) and 327(3) of the Criminal Procedure Code. Hence, all public persons and everybody present in the courtroom, except the prosecutor and the accused persons, are directed to vacate the courtroom," The Hindu reported.
"It shall not be lawful to print or publish any matter or content in this case, except with the permission of this court," she added.
The judge went on to say that the five accused, who were brought in the Saket district court premises for the trial, could not be produced in court due to concerns over their safety in passing through the crowded courtroom.
The courtroom also witnessed ruckus when two lawyers, Manohar Lal Sharma and VK Anand, came forward to defend the accused. The members of the Saket bar, who had vowed not to represent them in the Delhi gang rape case, accused the lawyers of seeking publicity.
Following the chaos in the courtroom, the judge ordered for an in-camera trial and adjourned the proceedings until Jan 10.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Report Claims China & Taiwan Sell Human Meat
- Crocodile Attacks, Takes Man in Adelaide River; Wife Witnesses Tragedy
- Sex with the Dead: Ohio Man Admits Doing it with 100 Corpses
- Princess Diana's Gravesite Algae-Infested, Earl Spencer Reportedly To Blame
- Ebola Virus: NZ Health Officials Given 'Powers' to Stop Ships, Planes from Entering Border
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff