Delhi Gang Rape Case: Court Orders In-Camera Trial, Imposes Gag on Media
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 8, 2013 6:36 PM EST
Amid all the high drama, the metropolitan magistrate's court in Delhi ordered for an in-camera trial in the Delhi gang rape case on Monday.
The magistrate, Namrita Aggarwal, also imposed gag on media which restricts printing and publishing of the proceedings without the court's permission.
Aggarwal reproved the crowd saying that the courtroom was jam-packed with disturbances from every side.
Ordering the public and media to vacate the traill room Aggarwal said, "Keeping in view the situation which has arisen in this case, proceedings, including the inquiry and the trial, will be held in-camera. I am invoking Sections 327 (2) and 327(3) of the Criminal Procedure Code. Hence, all public persons and everybody present in the courtroom, except the prosecutor and the accused persons, are directed to vacate the courtroom," The Hindu reported.
"It shall not be lawful to print or publish any matter or content in this case, except with the permission of this court," she added.
The judge went on to say that the five accused, who were brought in the Saket district court premises for the trial, could not be produced in court due to concerns over their safety in passing through the crowded courtroom.
The courtroom also witnessed ruckus when two lawyers, Manohar Lal Sharma and VK Anand, came forward to defend the accused. The members of the Saket bar, who had vowed not to represent them in the Delhi gang rape case, accused the lawyers of seeking publicity.
Following the chaos in the courtroom, the judge ordered for an in-camera trial and adjourned the proceedings until Jan 10.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans