Delhi Gang Rape Case: Court Orders In-Camera Trial, Imposes Gag on Media
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 8, 2013 6:36 PM EST
Amid all the high drama, the metropolitan magistrate's court in Delhi ordered for an in-camera trial in the Delhi gang rape case on Monday.
The magistrate, Namrita Aggarwal, also imposed gag on media which restricts printing and publishing of the proceedings without the court's permission.
Aggarwal reproved the crowd saying that the courtroom was jam-packed with disturbances from every side.
Ordering the public and media to vacate the traill room Aggarwal said, "Keeping in view the situation which has arisen in this case, proceedings, including the inquiry and the trial, will be held in-camera. I am invoking Sections 327 (2) and 327(3) of the Criminal Procedure Code. Hence, all public persons and everybody present in the courtroom, except the prosecutor and the accused persons, are directed to vacate the courtroom," The Hindu reported.
"It shall not be lawful to print or publish any matter or content in this case, except with the permission of this court," she added.
The judge went on to say that the five accused, who were brought in the Saket district court premises for the trial, could not be produced in court due to concerns over their safety in passing through the crowded courtroom.
The courtroom also witnessed ruckus when two lawyers, Manohar Lal Sharma and VK Anand, came forward to defend the accused. The members of the Saket bar, who had vowed not to represent them in the Delhi gang rape case, accused the lawyers of seeking publicity.
Following the chaos in the courtroom, the judge ordered for an in-camera trial and adjourned the proceedings until Jan 10.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Has ‘Strict Style Guide,’ Expected To Wear Winter Wardrobes During Pregnancy
- US Police Officers Shoot 12-Year-Old Child ‘By Mistake’
- Bizarre Sex Abuse: Man Licks Woman’s Foot in Canada, Runs Away With Her Shoe
- Woman Charged For Leaving Her Baby in Drain in Australia Needs 'Compassion' Says Social Worker
- New Zealand Pre-schooler Suffers Attack For Wearing A Jewish Cap; Anti-Semitic Act Condemned
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James