Delhi Gang Rape Case: Court Orders In-Camera Trial, Imposes Gag on Media
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 8, 2013 6:36 PM EST
Amid all the high drama, the metropolitan magistrate's court in Delhi ordered for an in-camera trial in the Delhi gang rape case on Monday.
The magistrate, Namrita Aggarwal, also imposed gag on media which restricts printing and publishing of the proceedings without the court's permission.
Aggarwal reproved the crowd saying that the courtroom was jam-packed with disturbances from every side.
Ordering the public and media to vacate the traill room Aggarwal said, "Keeping in view the situation which has arisen in this case, proceedings, including the inquiry and the trial, will be held in-camera. I am invoking Sections 327 (2) and 327(3) of the Criminal Procedure Code. Hence, all public persons and everybody present in the courtroom, except the prosecutor and the accused persons, are directed to vacate the courtroom," The Hindu reported.
"It shall not be lawful to print or publish any matter or content in this case, except with the permission of this court," she added.
The judge went on to say that the five accused, who were brought in the Saket district court premises for the trial, could not be produced in court due to concerns over their safety in passing through the crowded courtroom.
The courtroom also witnessed ruckus when two lawyers, Manohar Lal Sharma and VK Anand, came forward to defend the accused. The members of the Saket bar, who had vowed not to represent them in the Delhi gang rape case, accused the lawyers of seeking publicity.
Following the chaos in the courtroom, the judge ordered for an in-camera trial and adjourned the proceedings until Jan 10.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Reportedly Jealous, Claimed Duchess Only Good At Making Babies
- Prince Harry Reunites With Cressida Bonas On ‘Sex Tape’ Date Amid Dating Camilla Thurlow Reports
- Modern Forensic Science Reveals Evidence Of Brutal Killing Of King Richard III
- Avril Lavigne And Husband Chad Kroeger Call It Quits
- Trina Targets French Montana And Kardashian In A Song To Show What Happens To A Reject
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best