Holiday in Hell: Flesh-Eating Parasites Attack Aussie Couple on Bolivia Vacation
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 8, 2013 1:53 PM EST
All that Sydney resident Ally Vagg and her boyfriend Bryan Williams was a good yearend holiday, so they went to Bolivia for that. A rich culture and scenic spots like these video clips would surely attract Aussies to spend a few days in this South American paradise.
However, their dream vacation turned out to be a nightmare in hell because they were attacked by rare flesh-eating parasites.
The couple initially thought they were suffering from mosquito bites which are one of the common maladies tourists to South American countries suffer. However, the pair initial felt something squirming under their skin and something poking its head out of the open wounds which turned out to be human bot fly infection like those found in this video (WARNING: SENSITIVE IMAGES).
Ms Vagg and Mr Willliams disclosed that they have pulled seven of such worm-like larvae from wounds on their stomach, back and legs while in Bolivia. To worsen their situation, they had to overcome language barriers since doctors spoke only Spanish and a backward medical system in Bolivia.
The infection is caused by the fly larvae living under their skin and feeding on their flesh. The maggots eventually crawl out of the host body and turn into large densely haired bot flies the look like bumblebees. Up to 50 eggs of bot flies could live in each wound.
Similar to mosquitoes, the fly deposits its eggs through a carrier insect and the larvae enter the human host's unbroken skin when the carrier lands.
"I lifted my shirt to see the head of it crawling at the top of my skin looking like a worm or fishing bait," News.com.au quoted Mr Williams.
Mr Williams taped his stomach wounds to starve the larvae of air and draw them to the surface. The couple may need to undergo minor surgery to remove the larvae. They must remain in Bolivia at least until mid-February for full healing and hope to return to Australia in late February.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Maria Menounos Lost 40 Pounds; She Follows a Low Carb Vegetarian Diet, Her Weight Loss and Fitness Secrets Revealed
- 'Django Unchained' Actress Danielle Watts Mistaken As Prostitute And Arrested; Accused Police of Racism
- Airborne Version of Ebola Virus Could Wipe Out 1.2 Million; Aussie Doctor Appeals For Help
- A Wife's Happiness is More Crucial Than Her Husband's For a Long Lasting, Happy Marriage, Finds Study
- Kim Kardashian's Pregnancy Glow Returns; Rumour Mill Suggests That Kim Is Pregnant
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date