Holiday in Hell: Flesh-Eating Parasites Attack Aussie Couple on Bolivia Vacation
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 8, 2013 1:53 PM EST
All that Sydney resident Ally Vagg and her boyfriend Bryan Williams was a good yearend holiday, so they went to Bolivia for that. A rich culture and scenic spots like these video clips would surely attract Aussies to spend a few days in this South American paradise.
However, their dream vacation turned out to be a nightmare in hell because they were attacked by rare flesh-eating parasites.
The couple initially thought they were suffering from mosquito bites which are one of the common maladies tourists to South American countries suffer. However, the pair initial felt something squirming under their skin and something poking its head out of the open wounds which turned out to be human bot fly infection like those found in this video (WARNING: SENSITIVE IMAGES).
Ms Vagg and Mr Willliams disclosed that they have pulled seven of such worm-like larvae from wounds on their stomach, back and legs while in Bolivia. To worsen their situation, they had to overcome language barriers since doctors spoke only Spanish and a backward medical system in Bolivia.
The infection is caused by the fly larvae living under their skin and feeding on their flesh. The maggots eventually crawl out of the host body and turn into large densely haired bot flies the look like bumblebees. Up to 50 eggs of bot flies could live in each wound.
Similar to mosquitoes, the fly deposits its eggs through a carrier insect and the larvae enter the human host's unbroken skin when the carrier lands.
"I lifted my shirt to see the head of it crawling at the top of my skin looking like a worm or fishing bait," News.com.au quoted Mr Williams.
Mr Williams taped his stomach wounds to starve the larvae of air and draw them to the surface. The couple may need to undergo minor surgery to remove the larvae. They must remain in Bolivia at least until mid-February for full healing and hope to return to Australia in late February.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- HIV Cure: Modified Gene Therapy Causing Resistance And Mysterious Enzyme Could Unlock Effective Treatment
- Kourtney Kardashian Thinks Pregnancy Nausea Should Not Be Called 'Morning Sickness' Because It Lasts All Day
- Kourtney Kardashian Shares Tips On How To Find A Good Pediatrician For Your Kids
- Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian Shares A Recipe For A Prenatal Power Breakfast Smoothie
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan