Holiday in Hell: Flesh-Eating Parasites Attack Aussie Couple on Bolivia Vacation
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 8, 2013 1:53 PM EST
All that Sydney resident Ally Vagg and her boyfriend Bryan Williams was a good yearend holiday, so they went to Bolivia for that. A rich culture and scenic spots like these video clips would surely attract Aussies to spend a few days in this South American paradise.
However, their dream vacation turned out to be a nightmare in hell because they were attacked by rare flesh-eating parasites.
The couple initially thought they were suffering from mosquito bites which are one of the common maladies tourists to South American countries suffer. However, the pair initial felt something squirming under their skin and something poking its head out of the open wounds which turned out to be human bot fly infection like those found in this video (WARNING: SENSITIVE IMAGES).
Ms Vagg and Mr Willliams disclosed that they have pulled seven of such worm-like larvae from wounds on their stomach, back and legs while in Bolivia. To worsen their situation, they had to overcome language barriers since doctors spoke only Spanish and a backward medical system in Bolivia.
The infection is caused by the fly larvae living under their skin and feeding on their flesh. The maggots eventually crawl out of the host body and turn into large densely haired bot flies the look like bumblebees. Up to 50 eggs of bot flies could live in each wound.
Similar to mosquitoes, the fly deposits its eggs through a carrier insect and the larvae enter the human host's unbroken skin when the carrier lands.
"I lifted my shirt to see the head of it crawling at the top of my skin looking like a worm or fishing bait," News.com.au quoted Mr Williams.
Mr Williams taped his stomach wounds to starve the larvae of air and draw them to the surface. The couple may need to undergo minor surgery to remove the larvae. They must remain in Bolivia at least until mid-February for full healing and hope to return to Australia in late February.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Spreads Through Red Cross Vaccine - Ghana Nurse ‘Testifies’; The Truth About Red Cross
- Ebola News Regarding Wortham's Kindergarteners Infected is False, Angry Reactions
- Ebola Outbreak Blamed on Infected Bushmeat; First Family to Catch Virus Hunted Bats
- Ebola Is Changing The Religious Landscape In West Africa
- Ebola Czar In US To Work On Bringing Down Anxiety Levels About The Epidemic : Nigeria Cheers As It Becomes Ebola Free
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar