Australian Dollar Outlook - 08 January 2013
By Christine Gaylican | January 8, 2013 12:20 PM EST
Bell FX Currency Outlook: The Australian Dollar has remained steady overnight despite the markets reassessment of last week's FOMC minutes.
Australia: The Australian Dollar has opened marginally higher after a relatively quiet overnight session. The US Dollar came under some selling pressure as markets re-assessed the FOMC minutes released last week, which saw some suggest quantitative easing could end as soon as this year and bets the ECB may refrain from signalling more interest rate cuts on Thursday night.
The AUD has benefited recently from a lack of liquidity in still thin holiday conditions trading back to recent highs yesterday above 1.0500 against the Greenback.
Offshore factors will continue to provide direction for the AUD during today's session along with domestic Trade Balance figures for November due at 11:30am this morning. Market expectation is for the deficit to have increased to around AUD 2.3bn.
Tomorrow will see Domestic retails sales due along with Chinese Traded Balance data.
Majors: US equity markets retreated from five-year highs overnight as investors turned cautious ahead of fourth-quarter company earnings.
The move spurred a selloff in riskier assets and saw some safe haven bond buying. Corporate profits are expected to show signs of a tepid holiday spending period as concerns over the fiscal cliff situation created some hesitancy in both consumers and businesses in the quarter.
Both the S&P 500 and DJIA ended 0.4% lower in choppy trade at 1,460 and 13,378 respectively. European Equities were also lower with the German DAX ending 0.6% lower at 7,733 while the FTSE shed 0.4% to 6,065.
European financial stocks however, received a boost in the session after the Basel Committee decided to grant banks four more years and greater flexibility to build up cash buffers.
The euro erased earlier losses against the US dollar trading back above 1.3100 late in the session as expectations the
ECB may point to the prospect of lower rates early this years from the current 0.75percent.
Spot gold prices were slighter weaker as markets pare back QE3 expectations for this year, falling 0.5% to USD 1,647 per ounce. Oil prices ended the session marginally higher with Brent rising 0.1% at USD 111.4 per barrel and WTI futures rising 0.4% to USD 93.2 per barrel.
Metals and commodities were mixed after a quiet night data wise. Tonight will see the release of European Employment data along with Retails sales figures and German factory orders.
8 JAN AU AiG Performance of Construction Index
AU Trade Balance
EU Business Climate Indicator
GE Current Account (euros)
Please speak with Bell Foreign Exchange if you require latest pricing and ranges, visit www.bellpotter.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- U.S. ‘Defends’ Israel for ‘Disgraceful’ Attack on UN School in Gaza that Killed 15
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools