Gruden Rumors: Arizona Cardinals And Philadelphia Eagles Seek Jon's Younger Brother
January 8, 2013 6:16 AM EST
Jon Gruden may be the top option for NFL teams with head coaching vacancies.
Eight head coaches were fired on “Black Monday,” and most of those positions remain available. Since the end of the regular season, there have been rumors linking Gruden to teams such as the Chicago Bears and the Cleveland Browns.
Despite rumors that Gruden would consider making a return to the NFL, the current Monday Night Football analyst doesn’t seem to be close to going back on the sidelines. He has no interviews scheduled with teams in the midst of a coaching search, and has shown no signs that he won’t return to the play-by-play booth in 2013.
The former Oakland Raiders and Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach might not be a head coach next season, but that doesn’t mean there won’t be a Gruden hired in the coming days. Jon Gruden’s younger brother, Jay, has piqued the interest of several NFL teams.
Jay is the current Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator, and will be able to speak with other teams after his club was eliminated from the playoffs on Saturday. He will reportedly interview with the Arizona Cardinals this week, who fired Ken Whisenhunt.
The Super Bowl winning coach’s brother is just 45 years old, but has been in the NFL for a decade. Jay joined Jon in Tampa Bay as an offensive assistant in 2002. He was a head coach in the UFL in 2010 and joined Cincinnati last season.
The Philadelphia Eagles are also expected to request an interview with Jay Gruden. They are looking to replace Andy Reid, who led the team for 14 years.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales