Gruden Rumors: Arizona Cardinals And Philadelphia Eagles Seek Jon's Younger Brother
January 8, 2013 6:16 AM EST
Jon Gruden may be the top option for NFL teams with head coaching vacancies.
Eight head coaches were fired on “Black Monday,” and most of those positions remain available. Since the end of the regular season, there have been rumors linking Gruden to teams such as the Chicago Bears and the Cleveland Browns.
Despite rumors that Gruden would consider making a return to the NFL, the current Monday Night Football analyst doesn’t seem to be close to going back on the sidelines. He has no interviews scheduled with teams in the midst of a coaching search, and has shown no signs that he won’t return to the play-by-play booth in 2013.
The former Oakland Raiders and Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach might not be a head coach next season, but that doesn’t mean there won’t be a Gruden hired in the coming days. Jon Gruden’s younger brother, Jay, has piqued the interest of several NFL teams.
Jay is the current Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator, and will be able to speak with other teams after his club was eliminated from the playoffs on Saturday. He will reportedly interview with the Arizona Cardinals this week, who fired Ken Whisenhunt.
The Super Bowl winning coach’s brother is just 45 years old, but has been in the NFL for a decade. Jay joined Jon in Tampa Bay as an offensive assistant in 2002. He was a head coach in the UFL in 2010 and joined Cincinnati last season.
The Philadelphia Eagles are also expected to request an interview with Jay Gruden. They are looking to replace Andy Reid, who led the team for 14 years.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports