Gruden Rumors: Arizona Cardinals And Philadelphia Eagles Seek Jon's Younger Brother
January 8, 2013 6:16 AM EST
Jon Gruden may be the top option for NFL teams with head coaching vacancies.
Eight head coaches were fired on “Black Monday,” and most of those positions remain available. Since the end of the regular season, there have been rumors linking Gruden to teams such as the Chicago Bears and the Cleveland Browns.
Despite rumors that Gruden would consider making a return to the NFL, the current Monday Night Football analyst doesn’t seem to be close to going back on the sidelines. He has no interviews scheduled with teams in the midst of a coaching search, and has shown no signs that he won’t return to the play-by-play booth in 2013.
The former Oakland Raiders and Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach might not be a head coach next season, but that doesn’t mean there won’t be a Gruden hired in the coming days. Jon Gruden’s younger brother, Jay, has piqued the interest of several NFL teams.
Jay is the current Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator, and will be able to speak with other teams after his club was eliminated from the playoffs on Saturday. He will reportedly interview with the Arizona Cardinals this week, who fired Ken Whisenhunt.
The Super Bowl winning coach’s brother is just 45 years old, but has been in the NFL for a decade. Jay joined Jon in Tampa Bay as an offensive assistant in 2002. He was a head coach in the UFL in 2010 and joined Cincinnati last season.
The Philadelphia Eagles are also expected to request an interview with Jay Gruden. They are looking to replace Andy Reid, who led the team for 14 years.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Fight Won't Happen As Long As Bob Arum Is Involved, Says Pacquiao's Former Conditioning Coach
- WWE News: CM Punk Merchandise Pulled From Stands, Punk Chasing Royalties For WWE 2K15 Inclusion [VIDEO]
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed