Leeds Fear Losing Prolific Striker in January Transfer Window
By Adrian Back | January 8, 2013 3:08 AM EST
Leeds United assistant Mick Jones is concerned that the club could lose star striker Lucaino Becchio during the current transfer window after a superb start to the season.
The Argentine has scored 19 goals in his 29 league appearances this season and has helped Leeds, currently in eighth, keep pace with the top six as Neil Warnock attempts to secure a finish in the playoff places.
Becchio's superb form has certainly alerted numerous clubs and Jones is worried that there will be competition for his signature both domestically and from abroad.
"My biggest fear is that there could be pressure on us from other clubs for him," Jones told BBC Radio Leeds. "Look at his form at the moment and he's bound to be hot property. I'd be worried if certain clubs came in for him both here and abroad.
"We're working hard to keep him and Sam Byram beyond the end of their current contracts. I don't think Sam will go because he's in the right place to develop as a player but there might be some pressure to sell him."
Becchio arrived at the club with little fanfare in 2008 after moving from Spanish second division club Merida. He impressed then manager Gary McAllister and was awarded an initial three-year contract which instantly saw him become a crowd favourite at Elland Road.
He scored 15 league goals in his first season and has now racked up 76 goals in 188 league games. However, he has just 18 months remaining on a contract which was extended in December 2010.
While Leeds will be desperate to keep the in-form striker, they will also hope to stave away interest in 19-year-old full-back Byram who has become a regular in the first team under Warncok this season.
The defender signed a three-year deal last summer but the BBC believes that there is interest from a trio of Premier League clubs in Fulham, Norwich and Liverpool.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories