Ministerial Panel Suggests 30% to 50% Reduction in CDMA Airwave Base Price
January 7, 2013 5:57 PM EST
A ministerial panel on Monday recommended a 30 percent or 50 percent cut in the base price in an auction of airwaves currently used by telecommunication carriers operating on Code Division Multiple Access technology, two senior government officials said.
India auctioned airwaves in November after a court order to revoke permits of several cellular carriers and redistribute airwaves through an open bidding. But the auction did not see any takers for CDMA airwaves, while only part of the airwaves for the more popular GSM services were sold.
The government had earlier set the reserve price of CDMA airwaves at 1.3 times GSM airwaves, a price that was criticised by operators as too high. The price was set at 36.4 billion rupees per megahertz of spectrum for all of India's 22 telecommunication zones.
The CDMA airwave auction is crucial for the Indian mobile phone unit of Russia's Sistema (SSAq.L), which has been ordered to shut operations in all but one of India's 22 zones by January 18 as it did not win back airwaves in the last auction.
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- United Airlines Flight Diverted as Passengers Fought Over Anti-Seat Reclining Device
- ISIS Posts Threats On Twitter, Works Around California Earthquake Hashtags, Pressures US To Respond To #StevensHeadinObamasHands
- Iceland Volcano: Bardarbunga Stricken by 5.7 Magnitude Earthquake But Still No Eruption, Magma Could be Going Elsewhere
- Chicago Marathon Brings Over $253 Million in Business
- New Zealand's High Growth Rate Predicted To Fall When Christchurch Rebuild Halts
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown