Ministerial Panel Suggests 30% to 50% Reduction in CDMA Airwave Base Price
January 7, 2013 5:57 PM EST
A ministerial panel on Monday recommended a 30 percent or 50 percent cut in the base price in an auction of airwaves currently used by telecommunication carriers operating on Code Division Multiple Access technology, two senior government officials said.
India auctioned airwaves in November after a court order to revoke permits of several cellular carriers and redistribute airwaves through an open bidding. But the auction did not see any takers for CDMA airwaves, while only part of the airwaves for the more popular GSM services were sold.
The government had earlier set the reserve price of CDMA airwaves at 1.3 times GSM airwaves, a price that was criticised by operators as too high. The price was set at 36.4 billion rupees per megahertz of spectrum for all of India's 22 telecommunication zones.
The CDMA airwave auction is crucial for the Indian mobile phone unit of Russia's Sistema (SSAq.L), which has been ordered to shut operations in all but one of India's 22 zones by January 18 as it did not win back airwaves in the last auction.
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- Vatican 2014 Final Synod Report: Gays Still ‘Unwelcome’ in Catholic Church, LGBT Thankful for First Step
- New Zealand Losing $9.4 Billion Every Year to Fraud
- 5 Cities With The Highest Cost Of Living In 2014
- Ebola ‘Cruise Ship’: Holidaymakers Furious Organisers Hid the Truth About Dallas Health Care Worker
- Canada Conducts Practice Drill Of Ebola Rapid Response Teams, To Send Experimental VSV-BOV Vaccine To WHO
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage