iPhone User Recovers Stolen Phone After a Dating Site Ruse: Read Snippets of His Chat with the Thief
By Arlene Paredes | January 7, 2013 11:11 AM EST
Twenty-seven-year-old Nadav Nirenberg, a trombonist from Brooklyn, NY, left his iPhone in a cab on New Year's Eve. Realizing he lost his iPhone, he sent messages and left voice messages to his number saying he would come and pick up the phone and give a large reward. But the thief had turned off his phone.
Nirenberg later logged on to his OKCupid account and noticed someone else was using it. The iPhone thief apparently wanted to steal his victim's identity, too.
"The next morning I woke up to see that the thief had been on my old OKCupid account sending weird messages to girls at 6 in the morning! Not only is he stealing my phone, he's creepy and disturbing," Nirenberg wrote on his blog. This gave him an idea to catch the thief.
"I created a fake email and a half-believable OKCupid account as "Jennifer Gonzalez" - a 24-year-old girl who just moved to Brooklyn and is looking for a man to take her out. I sent a message to the thief (my account) and chatted him up as Jennifer...weird."
The thief actually took the bait and was on his way to meet "Jennifer" the same day. Nirenberg catches the thief on his way up the apartment building. "Dude was all dressed up, had a bottle of wine and stank of cologne," Nirenberg observed.
Nirenberg had some preparation, too. He got out of his building with a $20 bill and a hammer - in case things get rough. He said he "calmly" approached the thief, gave him the $20, and told him cops were on the way. "The look of immediate shame on his face was priceless, homie was shook and must feel like an idiot," he wrote.
Nirenberg was amused that the thief believed he got too lucky. He wrote, "Dude thought that a 24-year-old girl who lives alone would invite a complete stranger over for wine."
Nirenberg gave a transcript of his message exchange with the thief to CBS. Here is a snippet of their chat on OKCupid:
JennifferInBK: "Yeah I kinda do [wink] I'm a bit nervous since my hair is longer than my picture, hope you don't mind if I look slightly different haha. Any ideas where to meet?"
Thief: "No I don't mind. No I don't have no Ida. Do u??
JennifferInBK: "I guess you could come to my place, though I think the bar might be a better idea."
Thief: "Ok can I have ur phone number?"
Nirenberg did contact the cops about his plan. He was advised that a cop should be present in the encounter, but he said he did not want an arrest to be made.
"So I just basically did it on my own, which, of course, I don't recommend," he told CBS.
VIDEO: Nadav Nirenberg's trombone solo at the 2008 Montreal Jazz Festival
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Family of Accidentally Killed Arizona Shooting Range Instructor Charles Vacca Feels Sorry For 9-Year-Old Uzi Girl
- Shocking Ice Bucket Challenge Video: Man Drenches 10-Month-Old Granddaughter, Video Garnered Angry And Appalled Comments From Viewers
- US Teen Violently Disowned by Family for Being Gay Receives Over $90K Support From Strangers [VIDEO]
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How