iPhone User Recovers Stolen Phone After a Dating Site Ruse: Read Snippets of His Chat with the Thief
By Arlene Paredes | January 7, 2013 11:11 AM EST
Twenty-seven-year-old Nadav Nirenberg, a trombonist from Brooklyn, NY, left his iPhone in a cab on New Year's Eve. Realizing he lost his iPhone, he sent messages and left voice messages to his number saying he would come and pick up the phone and give a large reward. But the thief had turned off his phone.
Nirenberg later logged on to his OKCupid account and noticed someone else was using it. The iPhone thief apparently wanted to steal his victim's identity, too.
"The next morning I woke up to see that the thief had been on my old OKCupid account sending weird messages to girls at 6 in the morning! Not only is he stealing my phone, he's creepy and disturbing," Nirenberg wrote on his blog. This gave him an idea to catch the thief.
"I created a fake email and a half-believable OKCupid account as "Jennifer Gonzalez" - a 24-year-old girl who just moved to Brooklyn and is looking for a man to take her out. I sent a message to the thief (my account) and chatted him up as Jennifer...weird."
The thief actually took the bait and was on his way to meet "Jennifer" the same day. Nirenberg catches the thief on his way up the apartment building. "Dude was all dressed up, had a bottle of wine and stank of cologne," Nirenberg observed.
Nirenberg had some preparation, too. He got out of his building with a $20 bill and a hammer - in case things get rough. He said he "calmly" approached the thief, gave him the $20, and told him cops were on the way. "The look of immediate shame on his face was priceless, homie was shook and must feel like an idiot," he wrote.
Nirenberg was amused that the thief believed he got too lucky. He wrote, "Dude thought that a 24-year-old girl who lives alone would invite a complete stranger over for wine."
Nirenberg gave a transcript of his message exchange with the thief to CBS. Here is a snippet of their chat on OKCupid:
JennifferInBK: "Yeah I kinda do [wink] I'm a bit nervous since my hair is longer than my picture, hope you don't mind if I look slightly different haha. Any ideas where to meet?"
Thief: "No I don't mind. No I don't have no Ida. Do u??
JennifferInBK: "I guess you could come to my place, though I think the bar might be a better idea."
Thief: "Ok can I have ur phone number?"
Nirenberg did contact the cops about his plan. He was advised that a cop should be present in the encounter, but he said he did not want an arrest to be made.
"So I just basically did it on my own, which, of course, I don't recommend," he told CBS.
VIDEO: Nadav Nirenberg's trombone solo at the 2008 Montreal Jazz Festival
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Top 5 Halloween 2014 Costume Ideas For Teen Boys
- ISIS Parades 30 Sunni Tribesmen Before Shooting Them Dead In Iraqi Town
- Video Showing Woman Getting Sexually Harassed on New York Streets Goes Viral
- Early Heat Wave Breaks Records In Australia; Lighting Storms Spark Bushfires In Queensland [VIDEO]
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family