iPhone User Recovers Stolen Phone After a Dating Site Ruse: Read Snippets of His Chat with the Thief
By Arlene Paredes | January 7, 2013 11:11 AM EST
Twenty-seven-year-old Nadav Nirenberg, a trombonist from Brooklyn, NY, left his iPhone in a cab on New Year's Eve. Realizing he lost his iPhone, he sent messages and left voice messages to his number saying he would come and pick up the phone and give a large reward. But the thief had turned off his phone.
Nirenberg later logged on to his OKCupid account and noticed someone else was using it. The iPhone thief apparently wanted to steal his victim's identity, too.
"The next morning I woke up to see that the thief had been on my old OKCupid account sending weird messages to girls at 6 in the morning! Not only is he stealing my phone, he's creepy and disturbing," Nirenberg wrote on his blog. This gave him an idea to catch the thief.
"I created a fake email and a half-believable OKCupid account as "Jennifer Gonzalez" - a 24-year-old girl who just moved to Brooklyn and is looking for a man to take her out. I sent a message to the thief (my account) and chatted him up as Jennifer...weird."
The thief actually took the bait and was on his way to meet "Jennifer" the same day. Nirenberg catches the thief on his way up the apartment building. "Dude was all dressed up, had a bottle of wine and stank of cologne," Nirenberg observed.
Nirenberg had some preparation, too. He got out of his building with a $20 bill and a hammer - in case things get rough. He said he "calmly" approached the thief, gave him the $20, and told him cops were on the way. "The look of immediate shame on his face was priceless, homie was shook and must feel like an idiot," he wrote.
Nirenberg was amused that the thief believed he got too lucky. He wrote, "Dude thought that a 24-year-old girl who lives alone would invite a complete stranger over for wine."
Nirenberg gave a transcript of his message exchange with the thief to CBS. Here is a snippet of their chat on OKCupid:
JennifferInBK: "Yeah I kinda do [wink] I'm a bit nervous since my hair is longer than my picture, hope you don't mind if I look slightly different haha. Any ideas where to meet?"
Thief: "No I don't mind. No I don't have no Ida. Do u??
JennifferInBK: "I guess you could come to my place, though I think the bar might be a better idea."
Thief: "Ok can I have ur phone number?"
Nirenberg did contact the cops about his plan. He was advised that a cop should be present in the encounter, but he said he did not want an arrest to be made.
"So I just basically did it on my own, which, of course, I don't recommend," he told CBS.
VIDEO: Nadav Nirenberg's trombone solo at the 2008 Montreal Jazz Festival
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Hoax Alert: 'Ebola Vaccine Only Works on White Skin' Viral Story Not True
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Gunman Killed In Brisbane Shoot-out On Live TV
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate