BBC's Stuart Hall in Court on Indecent Assault Charges
By Timur Moon | January 7, 2013 4:04 AM EST
Veteran BBC broadcaster Stuart Hall is to appear in court charged with the indecent assault of three girls.
The former sports reporter, 83, will appear at Preston Magistrates' Court on Monday 7 January to face three charges that he assaulted the girls, aged eight, 13 and 17 years, between 1974 and 1984.
The charges allege that Hall indecently assaulted a woman aged 16 or 17 years between September and December 1974; that he indecently assaulted a girl aged eight or nine in 1983; and that he indecently assaulted a 13-year-old girl between July and September 1984.
The charges are not believed to be connected to the Metropolitan Police's ongoing investigation into allegations of sexual abuse against Jimmy Savile and others, codenamed Operation Yewtree.
Hall was arrested in a dawn raid on Wednesday 2 January at his home in Wilmslow, Cheshire, where he lives with his wife of 44 years, Hazel, 74. Police conducted a six-hour search of the property following his arrest.
Hall, who hosted the family TV show It's A Knockout and worked as a sports presenter for Radio 5 Live, was in 2012 awarded an OBE in the Queen's New Year's honours list for services to broadcasting and charity.
BBC Radio 5 Live has confirmed that he will not work for them as long as the police investigation is ongoing.
Hall has strenuously denied the charges. His solicitor, Louise Straw, said after his arrest: "Stuart Hall is innocent. There will be a trial and his defence will then be in the public domain."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Robbery Attempt in Sydney Bank, Armed Robbers on The Loose
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles