BBC's Stuart Hall in Court on Indecent Assault Charges
By Timur Moon | January 7, 2013 4:04 AM EST
Veteran BBC broadcaster Stuart Hall is to appear in court charged with the indecent assault of three girls.
The former sports reporter, 83, will appear at Preston Magistrates' Court on Monday 7 January to face three charges that he assaulted the girls, aged eight, 13 and 17 years, between 1974 and 1984.
The charges allege that Hall indecently assaulted a woman aged 16 or 17 years between September and December 1974; that he indecently assaulted a girl aged eight or nine in 1983; and that he indecently assaulted a 13-year-old girl between July and September 1984.
The charges are not believed to be connected to the Metropolitan Police's ongoing investigation into allegations of sexual abuse against Jimmy Savile and others, codenamed Operation Yewtree.
Hall was arrested in a dawn raid on Wednesday 2 January at his home in Wilmslow, Cheshire, where he lives with his wife of 44 years, Hazel, 74. Police conducted a six-hour search of the property following his arrest.
Hall, who hosted the family TV show It's A Knockout and worked as a sports presenter for Radio 5 Live, was in 2012 awarded an OBE in the Queen's New Year's honours list for services to broadcasting and charity.
BBC Radio 5 Live has confirmed that he will not work for them as long as the police investigation is ongoing.
Hall has strenuously denied the charges. His solicitor, Louise Straw, said after his arrest: "Stuart Hall is innocent. There will be a trial and his defence will then be in the public domain."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Celebrities Who Were Victims of Rape: Psychological and Physical Effects of Rape
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Women’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 - Li Na, Sharapova, Kvitova, And Williams
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Sickness: Prince Harry Cancels His 30th Birthday Party And Chose For Simple Gathering
- Afghan Pizza Man Shot Dead in Canada
- Canadian Feminists Angry At Japanese Naked Sushi Dining Experience As Sexist, Discriminatory
- At What Age Do Boys And Girls Look Best To Each Other?
- Canada Fire May Destroy Valuable Artwork
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Android Lion vs Apple iOS 8: Why Make the Big Switch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. OnePlus One – Can The Underdog Trump The Monster?
- US Government Threatened Yahoo to Provide User Data: If not Pay a Fine of $250,000 per day
- Optus Successfully Launches Optus 10 Satellite That Will Improve TV, Internet, Phone & Data Transmission In Australia
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Moto X Pure Edition is Coming Soon with Wi-Fi Calling – Reports
- 7 Reasons Why Atlassian Topped BRW’s Best Place To Work In Australia 2014 List