BBC's Stuart Hall in Court on Indecent Assault Charges
By Timur Moon | January 7, 2013 4:04 AM EST
Veteran BBC broadcaster Stuart Hall is to appear in court charged with the indecent assault of three girls.
The former sports reporter, 83, will appear at Preston Magistrates' Court on Monday 7 January to face three charges that he assaulted the girls, aged eight, 13 and 17 years, between 1974 and 1984.
The charges allege that Hall indecently assaulted a woman aged 16 or 17 years between September and December 1974; that he indecently assaulted a girl aged eight or nine in 1983; and that he indecently assaulted a 13-year-old girl between July and September 1984.
The charges are not believed to be connected to the Metropolitan Police's ongoing investigation into allegations of sexual abuse against Jimmy Savile and others, codenamed Operation Yewtree.
Hall was arrested in a dawn raid on Wednesday 2 January at his home in Wilmslow, Cheshire, where he lives with his wife of 44 years, Hazel, 74. Police conducted a six-hour search of the property following his arrest.
Hall, who hosted the family TV show It's A Knockout and worked as a sports presenter for Radio 5 Live, was in 2012 awarded an OBE in the Queen's New Year's honours list for services to broadcasting and charity.
BBC Radio 5 Live has confirmed that he will not work for them as long as the police investigation is ongoing.
Hall has strenuously denied the charges. His solicitor, Louise Straw, said after his arrest: "Stuart Hall is innocent. There will be a trial and his defence will then be in the public domain."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Former Malaysian Envoy Denies Assault Charges in New Zealand, Elects Trial By Jury
- ISIS War to Last For 4 Years; US Military Shows Videos of Airstrikes Hitting Militant Base [VIDEO]
- Ebola Stock Companies Suspended From Trading For Unverifiable Claims
- Australia Joins Global Effort to Stop Russian Website From Illegally Streaming Web Cam Feeds
- Baby Gammy Will Be Australian Citizen Soon
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- Australia Ranks 11th In World Ultra Wealth Report As 175 Aussies Amass $440B In 2013