Delhi Gang Rape Case: Two Accused Plea to Serve as State Witness
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 6, 2013 11:05 PM EST
Two of the six accused in the Delhi gang rape-cum-murder case have pleaded to serve as witnesses on behalf of the state in the court.
The judicial custody of Pawan Gupta, Vinay Sharma, Ram Singh and his brother Mukesh expired today after which they were produced before the Metropolitan Magistrate Jyoti Kler on Sunday.
While Pawan and Vinay wanted to be witnesses in the case, Ram Singh and Mukesh requested for legal aid for their defence.
The Magistrate had asked them to appear in court on Jan 7 as per the production warrant issued to them on Saturday.
Later, the magistrate dictated an order in the open court room stating, "All the accused persons were informed that they can seek legal aid in the case, if they have not engaged any counsel. Accused Pawan and Vinay have refused to take service of the legal aid counsel and have submitted that they want to become witnesses on behalf of the state," PTI reported.
"Accused Pawan and Vinay have been directed to move an appropriate application to become witnesses in the case before the court concerned," the Magistrate added.
Meanwhile, experts have claimed that the duo cannot serve as witness due to their involvement in a case of rape and murder.
The fifth accused, Akshay Thakur, whose judicial custody expires on Jan 9 will be produced before the court on Monday.
The trial of the sixth accused will be held before the Juvenile Justice Board if his bone marrow test proved him a minor.
The court had taken the cognizance of offence on Saturday after the Delhi police submitted a chargesheet against the five adult accused on Jan 3. They were charged under the sections of 302 (murder), 307 (attempt to murder), 376 (2)(g) (gangrape), 377 (unnatural offences), 395 (dacoity), 396 (murder in dacoity), 394 (hurting in dacoity), 201 (destruction of evidence), 120-B (conspiracy), 34 (common intention) and 412 (dishonestly receiving stolen property) as per the Indian Penal Code.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Image Of An Alien Revealed By US Intelligence Agent Suggests Existence Of Extraterrestrial Life -- Report
- US Police Release Video Of Officers Shooting 12-Year-Old Tamir Rice
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- New Zealanders in Australia Consider Moving Back to Home Country For Better Life
- Viral Video Celebrity Impressions: Comedian Lauren O'Brien Impersonates Famous Female Celebrities While Stuck In Traffic [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft