Delhi Gang Rape Case: Two Accused Plea to Serve as State Witness
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 6, 2013 11:05 PM EST
Two of the six accused in the Delhi gang rape-cum-murder case have pleaded to serve as witnesses on behalf of the state in the court.
The judicial custody of Pawan Gupta, Vinay Sharma, Ram Singh and his brother Mukesh expired today after which they were produced before the Metropolitan Magistrate Jyoti Kler on Sunday.
While Pawan and Vinay wanted to be witnesses in the case, Ram Singh and Mukesh requested for legal aid for their defence.
The Magistrate had asked them to appear in court on Jan 7 as per the production warrant issued to them on Saturday.
Later, the magistrate dictated an order in the open court room stating, "All the accused persons were informed that they can seek legal aid in the case, if they have not engaged any counsel. Accused Pawan and Vinay have refused to take service of the legal aid counsel and have submitted that they want to become witnesses on behalf of the state," PTI reported.
"Accused Pawan and Vinay have been directed to move an appropriate application to become witnesses in the case before the court concerned," the Magistrate added.
Meanwhile, experts have claimed that the duo cannot serve as witness due to their involvement in a case of rape and murder.
The fifth accused, Akshay Thakur, whose judicial custody expires on Jan 9 will be produced before the court on Monday.
The trial of the sixth accused will be held before the Juvenile Justice Board if his bone marrow test proved him a minor.
The court had taken the cognizance of offence on Saturday after the Delhi police submitted a chargesheet against the five adult accused on Jan 3. They were charged under the sections of 302 (murder), 307 (attempt to murder), 376 (2)(g) (gangrape), 377 (unnatural offences), 395 (dacoity), 396 (murder in dacoity), 394 (hurting in dacoity), 201 (destruction of evidence), 120-B (conspiracy), 34 (common intention) and 412 (dishonestly receiving stolen property) as per the Indian Penal Code.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Surge in UFO Sightings in Queensland Observed; Gold Coast 'Hot Spot' of UFO Encounters
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- ISIS Beheading Video of Steven Sotloff Sparks Outrage; Family Believes Footage is 'Authentic'
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Jennifer Lawrence's Nude Photos Leaked on Find My iPhone, Apple 'Outraged' But Says Systems 'Not Breached'
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged