Arsenal Transfer Rumour: Wenger Preparing Bid for Wigan Midfielder
By Vishnuprasad S | January 6, 2013 7:14 PM EST
Arsenal are considering an approach for Wigan Athletic midfielder James McCarthy.
The 22-year-old has started all 21 Premier League games for the Latics so far this season and the Daily Mirror believes Arsene Wenger will offer Roberto Martinez's side £8m for the Republic of Ireland international.
McCarthy, who joined Wigan from Scottish First Division club Hamilton in 2009, is contracted to the club until 2016. Martinez has recently admitted that although he wants the midfielder to stay at the DW Stadium, he expects him to leave for a high-profile club in the near future.
"We will always feel really pleased with compliments towards our players. But James McCarthy is a young man - at 22 he is still developing. One day he will be challenging to win titles and to be in the highest position in the game, there is no two ways about it," the Spaniard told the Daily Star, adding, "But he is still developing and the performance that he had shows that he is developing in the right way. The last thing he needs now is to be distracted from his good work and the way he is developing."
Djourou Completes Hannover Loan
Meanwhile, Arsenal defender Johan Djourou has completed a loan switch to Bundesliga side Hannover 96. The 25-year-old will remain with the German club till the end of the season. The Swiss international has featured only twice for the Gunners this season, in the League Cup against Coventry City and Reading.
Djourou joined the Arsenal academy from Swiss side Etoile Carouge in 2004, when he signed a first professional contract. Since then, the defender has made nearly 150 appearances, across all competitions, and scored one goal.
Djourou's fellow centre-back, 32-year-old Frenchman Sebastien Squillaci, is also expected to leave the Emirates during this window, while team-mate and Morocco striker Marouane Chamakh has joined West Ham United on loan until the end of the season.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia