Arsenal Transfer Rumour: Wenger Preparing Bid for Wigan Midfielder
By Vishnuprasad S | January 6, 2013 7:14 PM EST
Arsenal are considering an approach for Wigan Athletic midfielder James McCarthy.
The 22-year-old has started all 21 Premier League games for the Latics so far this season and the Daily Mirror believes Arsene Wenger will offer Roberto Martinez's side £8m for the Republic of Ireland international.
McCarthy, who joined Wigan from Scottish First Division club Hamilton in 2009, is contracted to the club until 2016. Martinez has recently admitted that although he wants the midfielder to stay at the DW Stadium, he expects him to leave for a high-profile club in the near future.
"We will always feel really pleased with compliments towards our players. But James McCarthy is a young man - at 22 he is still developing. One day he will be challenging to win titles and to be in the highest position in the game, there is no two ways about it," the Spaniard told the Daily Star, adding, "But he is still developing and the performance that he had shows that he is developing in the right way. The last thing he needs now is to be distracted from his good work and the way he is developing."
Djourou Completes Hannover Loan
Meanwhile, Arsenal defender Johan Djourou has completed a loan switch to Bundesliga side Hannover 96. The 25-year-old will remain with the German club till the end of the season. The Swiss international has featured only twice for the Gunners this season, in the League Cup against Coventry City and Reading.
Djourou joined the Arsenal academy from Swiss side Etoile Carouge in 2004, when he signed a first professional contract. Since then, the defender has made nearly 150 appearances, across all competitions, and scored one goal.
Djourou's fellow centre-back, 32-year-old Frenchman Sebastien Squillaci, is also expected to leave the Emirates during this window, while team-mate and Morocco striker Marouane Chamakh has joined West Ham United on loan until the end of the season.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date