Arsenal Transfer Rumour: Wenger Preparing Bid for Wigan Midfielder
By Vishnuprasad S | January 6, 2013 7:14 PM EST
Arsenal are considering an approach for Wigan Athletic midfielder James McCarthy.
The 22-year-old has started all 21 Premier League games for the Latics so far this season and the Daily Mirror believes Arsene Wenger will offer Roberto Martinez's side £8m for the Republic of Ireland international.
McCarthy, who joined Wigan from Scottish First Division club Hamilton in 2009, is contracted to the club until 2016. Martinez has recently admitted that although he wants the midfielder to stay at the DW Stadium, he expects him to leave for a high-profile club in the near future.
"We will always feel really pleased with compliments towards our players. But James McCarthy is a young man - at 22 he is still developing. One day he will be challenging to win titles and to be in the highest position in the game, there is no two ways about it," the Spaniard told the Daily Star, adding, "But he is still developing and the performance that he had shows that he is developing in the right way. The last thing he needs now is to be distracted from his good work and the way he is developing."
Djourou Completes Hannover Loan
Meanwhile, Arsenal defender Johan Djourou has completed a loan switch to Bundesliga side Hannover 96. The 25-year-old will remain with the German club till the end of the season. The Swiss international has featured only twice for the Gunners this season, in the League Cup against Coventry City and Reading.
Djourou joined the Arsenal academy from Swiss side Etoile Carouge in 2004, when he signed a first professional contract. Since then, the defender has made nearly 150 appearances, across all competitions, and scored one goal.
Djourou's fellow centre-back, 32-year-old Frenchman Sebastien Squillaci, is also expected to leave the Emirates during this window, while team-mate and Morocco striker Marouane Chamakh has joined West Ham United on loan until the end of the season.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Ana Ivanovic Posts a Hot Selfie on Instagram after her San Francisco Photo-Shoot
- Richard Norris' Successful Face Transplant Lands Him in GQ Cover [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- A Mother Of Two Dies While Undergoing Stem Cell Treatment
- Breaking Discovery: Industrial Pollution Reached South Pole by 19th Century
- Human Guinea Pigs for Google Health Projects