Arsenal Transfer Rumour: Wenger Preparing Bid for Wigan Midfielder
By Vishnuprasad S | January 6, 2013 7:14 PM EST
Arsenal are considering an approach for Wigan Athletic midfielder James McCarthy.
The 22-year-old has started all 21 Premier League games for the Latics so far this season and the Daily Mirror believes Arsene Wenger will offer Roberto Martinez's side £8m for the Republic of Ireland international.
McCarthy, who joined Wigan from Scottish First Division club Hamilton in 2009, is contracted to the club until 2016. Martinez has recently admitted that although he wants the midfielder to stay at the DW Stadium, he expects him to leave for a high-profile club in the near future.
"We will always feel really pleased with compliments towards our players. But James McCarthy is a young man - at 22 he is still developing. One day he will be challenging to win titles and to be in the highest position in the game, there is no two ways about it," the Spaniard told the Daily Star, adding, "But he is still developing and the performance that he had shows that he is developing in the right way. The last thing he needs now is to be distracted from his good work and the way he is developing."
Djourou Completes Hannover Loan
Meanwhile, Arsenal defender Johan Djourou has completed a loan switch to Bundesliga side Hannover 96. The 25-year-old will remain with the German club till the end of the season. The Swiss international has featured only twice for the Gunners this season, in the League Cup against Coventry City and Reading.
Djourou joined the Arsenal academy from Swiss side Etoile Carouge in 2004, when he signed a first professional contract. Since then, the defender has made nearly 150 appearances, across all competitions, and scored one goal.
Djourou's fellow centre-back, 32-year-old Frenchman Sebastien Squillaci, is also expected to leave the Emirates during this window, while team-mate and Morocco striker Marouane Chamakh has joined West Ham United on loan until the end of the season.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Wants To Talk To Manny Pacquiao About Super Fight If Filipino Beats Chris Algieri
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money