Chip Kelly Rumors: Close To Deal With Cleveland Browns? Interviews With Philadelphia Eagles, Buffalo Bills
January 6, 2013 2:43 AM EST
Oregon head coach Chip Kelly may leave Arizona with a bowl game victory and an NFL job.
Kelly is inching towards a deal that would bring the 49-year-old coach and his high-flying offense to the Cleveland Browns, according to the Associated Press. However nothing has been finalized, and Kelly is still scheduled to meet with the Philadelphia Eagles, and also spoke to the Buffalo Bills Friday.
The Browns and their new ownership group are looking to make a huge splash by bringing in a coach whose offense is already being mimicked around the NFL.
Kelly has led the Ducks to four straight BCS bowl games, and has done so with a hurry-up and power rushing attack. Oregon was second in the nation in rushing yards per game, with running backs Kenjon Barner and DeAnthony Thomas punishing opposing defenses.
Should he sign with Cleveland, Kelly can employ Browns running back Trent Richardson, who battled knee and rib injuries throughout his rookie season and still tallied 950 yards and 11 touchdowns.
The Browns will also have a second-year quarterback in Brandon Weeden, who threw 17 interceptions but showed flashes of talent that Kelly can put to good use.
Kelly met with Cleveland for seven hours, according to ESPN, but the coach also said after Thursday’s Fiesta Bowl victory that he wanted to speed through the interview process.
With Kelly possibly out of contention, the Eagles have turned their attention to several of the NFL’s top assistants. Philadelphia is looking at Indianapolis offensive coordinator Bruce Arians and Seattle defensive coordinator Gus Bradley, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.
Arians was the Colts interim coach while Chuck Pagano was treated for leukemia this season, and Indianapolis improved by nine-wins and made the playoffs as the AFC’s No. 5 seed. He will meet with the Eagles after the Colts playoff matchup with the Baltimore Ravens Sunday.
The Seahawks all-around dominant defense are a big reason Seattle nearly won the NFC West. Bradley led a group that was sixth against the pass and 10th versus the run. His scheme for the Robert Griffin III and the Washington Redskins could be an audition of sorts for the Eagles or any other team.
Buffalo also appears to have a contingency plan. The Bills met with the recently fired Lovie Smith on Friday. Smith spent nine seasons with the Chicago Bears, and guided them to Super Bowl XLI. Still he was fired after the Bears squandered a 7-1 start and missed the playoffs this season.
Denver Broncos defensive coordinator Mike McCoy is also a candidate for the Eagles and the Bills.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Rhonda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans