Apple to Launch ‘iPhone mini’ by 2014: Report
By Rohit KVN | January 5, 2013 6:40 PM EST
"We think Apple will have to launch an 'iPhone Mini' at some point over the next three years to address the hundreds of millions of prepaid users worldwide that cannot afford the current iPhone," Neil Mawston, executive director in the technology market research firm Strategy Analytics, told Reuters.
"The iPhone 5 is growing fast and profitably right now, so there is little incentive for Apple to launch an 'iPhone Mini' this year. We expect the iPhone Mini to be more likely next year, in 2014 when ... Apple will be forced to discover fresh growth streams," he added.
Many technology analysts believe that the only possible way for Cupertino giant to gain a formidable foothold in the global smartphone market from its arch-rival Samsung is to bring in more segments into its flagship iPhone line-up.
Samsung's dominance in the global smartphone market can be attributed to its versatility of bringing in more variants to match different budget needs of the consumers.
Apple used to dominate the American smartphone market while Steve Jobs was at the helm of the company's affair but after his demise, the Cupertino giant seemed to have lost some sheen. Apple is no more a leader of smartphone market in US.
According to latest results from the market research firm ComScore survey, Samsung has the largest share in the market with 26.9 percent. Apple comes a distant second with 18.5 percent, followed closely by another South Korean company, LG with 17.5 percent share in the US smartphone market.
Recently, Apple was in the news that it is planning to bring in the next generation iPhone with multiple colours this year.
(With Inputs from Reuters)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones