Church of England Will Allow Gay Clergy to Become Bishops - Provided They're Celibate
By Gareth Platt | January 5, 2013 6:03 AM EST
The Church of England has announced it will allow gay clergy in civil partnerships to become bishops, provided they remain celibate.
The decision was made last month by the House of Bishops, part of the Church's General Synod, and brought to light today by the Church Times - to the dismay of many conservative evangelical Anglicans who have bitterly opposed such a move.
Despite the threat of legal action from those seeking the removal of the ban on gay bishops, some evangelicals have even said they would import foreign bishops rather than serve under homosexuals from the UK.
A number of evangelicals have said they will not respect the House of Bishops' decision and now plan to appeal to the General Synod.
The debate over gay bishops was ignited in 2003 by the case of Jeffrey John, a gay clergyman who was nominated for the bishopric of Reading but subsequently withdrew amid an outcry which split the Anglican church.
Gay human rights campaigner Peter Tatchell said: "Any move to lift the ban on gay bishops in civil partnerships is a welcome move towards greater equality within the church."
However, Tatchell added that the lack of official confirmation from either the House of Bishops or the Archbishop of Canterbury is "perplexing" because "if the policy has been changed, it is a significant development and should be officially confirmed by Anglican leaders.
"I hope this means the way is now open for Jeffrey John to be appointed as a bishop."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]