Church of England Will Allow Gay Clergy to Become Bishops - Provided They're Celibate
By Gareth Platt | January 5, 2013 6:03 AM EST
The Church of England has announced it will allow gay clergy in civil partnerships to become bishops, provided they remain celibate.
The decision was made last month by the House of Bishops, part of the Church's General Synod, and brought to light today by the Church Times - to the dismay of many conservative evangelical Anglicans who have bitterly opposed such a move.
Despite the threat of legal action from those seeking the removal of the ban on gay bishops, some evangelicals have even said they would import foreign bishops rather than serve under homosexuals from the UK.
A number of evangelicals have said they will not respect the House of Bishops' decision and now plan to appeal to the General Synod.
The debate over gay bishops was ignited in 2003 by the case of Jeffrey John, a gay clergyman who was nominated for the bishopric of Reading but subsequently withdrew amid an outcry which split the Anglican church.
Gay human rights campaigner Peter Tatchell said: "Any move to lift the ban on gay bishops in civil partnerships is a welcome move towards greater equality within the church."
However, Tatchell added that the lack of official confirmation from either the House of Bishops or the Archbishop of Canterbury is "perplexing" because "if the policy has been changed, it is a significant development and should be officially confirmed by Anglican leaders.
"I hope this means the way is now open for Jeffrey John to be appointed as a bishop."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Pope To Demote Conservative Cardinal – A Revolution, Decapitation, Describes Vatican Critic
- End Times Prophecy Lurking W/ WW3 Nuclear Threat, Iraq Crisis And Ebola
- Sydney Public Beheadings Confirmed By PM Tony Abbott
- Pope Francis Ultimate Target By Conservative Cardinals
- Are You There, Archbishop Welby Asks God
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best