North Korea Hero Jong Tae-se Joins South Korea Football Team
By Dominic Gover | January 5, 2013 4:41 AM EST
Football players often spark controversy when they leave a club to join a fierce rival, but one North Korean international's move to a club in South Korea surely pushes the concept to its limit.
The North Korea striker leapt to fame at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa with starring displays against Brazil, which led him to be dubbed 'the People's Rooney' by the British Press. His patriotic emotional outpourings during the national anthem inspired affection in viewers.
The transfer from Germany, worth around £300,000, could have far-reaching consequences, considering the precarious relationship between the nation for which Jong has a passport and the one in which he shall ply his trade.
South Korea has large pieces of weaponry permanently pointed at its totalitarian neighbour, which responds in kind with displays of blood-curdling sabre-rattling.
Citizens of the South are even forbidden by law to mingle with North Koreans, under a national security law. It is also illegal to say positive things in South Korea about the north, currently ruled by hereditary dictator Kim Jung-un.
Some have even speculated about Jong's safety. However North Korean expert Chris Green told nknews.com: "He'll be fine as long as he does the sensible thing and avoids giving interviews in which he says anything that might be construed as complimentary or in any way "pro" North Korean.
"There are elements of the NSL that are considered current and those that are not said Green. The Republic of Korea has a very interesting approach to 'legality', so I don't expect his very presence to be an issue. The law is applied more flexibly than many people realise."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Gay Community In Liberia Persecuted For Ebola; Church Leaders Call Virus 'Punishment' For Homosexuality
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine