Women Beat Politician, Bikram Singh Brahma, Accused Of Rape In Assam, India [VIDEO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 5, 2013 4:24 AM EST
Police in India said they detained politician Bikram Singh Brahma on Thursday after he was accused of raping a woman. Brahma was arrested shortly after he was set upon and beaten by crowds in a village in Assam state, authorities said.
The politician was presumably located after a video aired showing him being stripped of his clothes and beaten by a group of Assam women. Police acted after the victim's husband officially reported the alleged rape, the BBC reported.
According to the Chirang police, as cited by the BBC News, a man reported that his wife had been raped during the night by Brahma.
The politician allegedly entered the woman's house and raped her at about 02:00 (20:30 GMT Wednesday), according to a police official, as cited by BBC. Hearing screams, villagers ran to the house and captured the man, the report said.
An Indian TV station broadcasted footage of Brahma surrounded by men and women in a street located in Assam, in north-eastern India, the BBC reported.
Some men kicked and beat him with what appeared to be a stick, before others restrained them. Then women moved in, tearing off his shirt and slapping him in the face and on his arms.
A man is later seen spraying graffiti on a car.
Police reportedly arrived on the scene not long after the politician came under attack.
Indian authorities later told a local news publication that they had taken him into custody but had not arrested him, pending the registration of the case.
The arrest comes after a woman was attacked on Dec. 16 in Delhi; she later died. Five men have reportedly been charged with the kidnap, gang-rape and murder of the 23-year-old female, whose name has not been released.
According to BBC News, stricter legislation is in the process of being put in place by a committee under a retired Supreme Court judge.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- Australia Ranks 11th In World Ultra Wealth Report As 175 Aussies Amass $440B In 2013