Asian Shares Except Japan Down on Fed Minutes
By Geetha Pillai | January 4, 2013 3:37 PM EST
Asian stock markets except Nikkei fell in the morning trade taking cues from the weakness of the US stocks overnight as some of the Federal Reserve officials expressed concerns over the continuation of its asset purchasing programme.
MSCI broadest index of the Asia-Pacific shares outside Japan fell 0.4 percent after hitting the highest since August 2011. South Korea's KOSPI opened 0.1 percent down while Taiwan fell 0.3 percent. Hong Kong's Hang Seng Index lost 0.5 percent.
China's Shanghai Composite gained 0.8 percent tracking a number of data that showed growth in the manufacturing and service sectors, indicating a revival of the world's second-biggest economy.
Australian shares also slipped, 0.5 percent, following a sharp rally for the past two days which lifted the shares to its highest levels in over 19 months.
However, Nikkei jumped 2.6 percent higher repeating the year-end rally when it opened after extended holidays. Japanese markets were closed for New Year's holidays from 31 December to 3 January.
Japanese traders were overjoyed with the continued weakness of the Yen and the Dollar hit ¥87.78, its highest since July 2010.
Meanwhile, minutes from the Federal Reserve's December policy meeting showed several members of the Federal Open Market Committee were increasingly concerned about the potential risk of continuation of the bond buying programme, the Reuters reported.
There were fears that the Fed's asset purchase programme may cease by the end of the year that triggered a fresh wave of uncertainty in the investment climate and the US stocks ended lower overnight.
Earlier, US lawmakers were able to reach a deal to avoid a "fiscal cliff" that was set to trigger automatic spending cuts and tax rises by the start of the year. As the deal only covered tax rises, the White House and the Republicans have to again engage in tough talks on increasing the debt ceiling and spending cuts.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display