Samsung Goes Tizen-Powered Devices in 2013
By Erik Pineda | January 4, 2013 2:25 PM EST
Samsung is allocating significant amounts of energy to Tizen in 2013, confirming reports that the Asian tech giant is planning device releases this year running on the Linux-based mobile operating system.
"We plan to release new, competitive Tizen devices within this year and will keep expanding the lineup depending on market conditions," Bloomberg Businessweek reported Samsung as saying.
The Samsung statement, however, dodged away from earlier reports that future smartphone and tablets from the tech firm will gradually move away from Android, the mobile OS owned by Google and not fully controlled by gadget manufacturers using them.
There were earlier indications that Samsung would want to reconfigure its mobile device business by making all its offerings in-house. Top Samsung officials have expressed desires last year to develop its own operating system, giving it more leverage and possibly more revenues following Apple's model.
Yet according to BGR News, the Tizen approach is geared at the moment to regional markets, indicating that Samsung is not bent anytime soon to sell its Galaxy product lines outside of the Android sphere.
It is quite clear though that "Samsung is inching away from Android. If not Android as a platform, then Android in its current state at the very least," BGR's Zach Epstein wrote.
One viable alternative for Samsung is to take after the Amazon way, tech experts said. Amazon uses Android on Kindle Fire but the Google platform is effectively overwhelmed by the online retail giant's built-in services that came with the Kindle tablets.
Amazon was successful on its tactic because it is backed by an established inner ecosystem, which Mr Epstein said is not the case with Samsung right now.
Clearly, Samsung's exit from Google's ecosystem will not transpire this year, analysts said. Galaxy fans can still look forward to enjoy the Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3 2013 releases with direct access to Android-designed apps, they added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock Rises Again Despite Bendgate, iOS 8 Bugs; Samsung Stock At Two-Year Low
- Hong Kong Protests Cause Closure Of Banks & Instagram Outages In China
- Federal Court Orders Coles To Hang Signs For 3 Months That It Passed Off Par-Baked Bread As Fresh From The Oven
- Ello Pegged As The Anti-Facebook Social Network
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate