Intense Heat Wave Continues to Scorch Queensland and Other Areas in Australia
By Jenalyn Villamarin | January 4, 2013 11:36 AM EST
People living in the remote area of Queensland are preparing well to face another scorching day. On the border of Simpson Desert in Queensland's far southwest, Birdsville is anticipated to reach a temperature of 47 degrees Celsius today.
Other Queensland areas that will face the wrath of heat today are Winton at 43 degrees Celsius while Longreach and Mount Isa are predicted to reach a temperature of 41 degrees Celsius.
The Federal Government notified the Australian residents to be alert and ready with their survival plans. Minister Nicola Roxon of the Federal Emergency Management stated that people must verify the fire ban announcements in their area.
"Think about what you need in an emergency kit if you need to get away quickly. Make plans for what you'll do with your pets and don't take risks when those warnings have been issued. You can replace your belongings but you cannot replace your family and that should be the top priority for everyone," Minister Roxon declared.
Meanwhile, Adelaide is anticipating today a 44 degrees Celsius temperature. Melbourne is forecasted at 41 degrees Celsius and Hobart is at 39 degrees Celsius. Other areas of western Sydney, such as Campbelltown and Liverpool, are predicted to hit 37 degrees Celsius while Broken Hill and Tibooburra are anticipating a 44 degrees Celsius temperature.
In Victoria, safety measures are being carried out. A fire ban has been acknowledged statewide since the temperature is expected to rise up to 44 degrees Celsius in the northwest. The firefighters are prepared to act as the heat wave threatens the area.
Intense fire hazard conditions are also projected in the Upper South-East, Murraylands, Yorke Peninsula, Northwest Pastoral, West Coast, Lower Eyre Peninsula and Upper Eyre Peninsula fire ban districts.
Meanwhile, this intense heat wave is expected to scorch Australia until Thursday next week.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Image Of An Alien Revealed By US Intelligence Agent Suggests Existence Of Extraterrestrial Life -- Report
- US Police Officers Shoot 12-Year-Old Child ‘By Mistake’
- Woman Charged For Leaving Her Baby in Drain in Australia Needs 'Compassion' Says Social Worker
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- New Zealanders in Australia Consider Moving Back to Home Country For Better Life
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]