Intense Heat Wave Continues to Scorch Queensland and Other Areas in Australia
By Jenalyn Villamarin | January 4, 2013 11:36 AM EST
People living in the remote area of Queensland are preparing well to face another scorching day. On the border of Simpson Desert in Queensland's far southwest, Birdsville is anticipated to reach a temperature of 47 degrees Celsius today.
Other Queensland areas that will face the wrath of heat today are Winton at 43 degrees Celsius while Longreach and Mount Isa are predicted to reach a temperature of 41 degrees Celsius.
The Federal Government notified the Australian residents to be alert and ready with their survival plans. Minister Nicola Roxon of the Federal Emergency Management stated that people must verify the fire ban announcements in their area.
"Think about what you need in an emergency kit if you need to get away quickly. Make plans for what you'll do with your pets and don't take risks when those warnings have been issued. You can replace your belongings but you cannot replace your family and that should be the top priority for everyone," Minister Roxon declared.
Meanwhile, Adelaide is anticipating today a 44 degrees Celsius temperature. Melbourne is forecasted at 41 degrees Celsius and Hobart is at 39 degrees Celsius. Other areas of western Sydney, such as Campbelltown and Liverpool, are predicted to hit 37 degrees Celsius while Broken Hill and Tibooburra are anticipating a 44 degrees Celsius temperature.
In Victoria, safety measures are being carried out. A fire ban has been acknowledged statewide since the temperature is expected to rise up to 44 degrees Celsius in the northwest. The firefighters are prepared to act as the heat wave threatens the area.
Intense fire hazard conditions are also projected in the Upper South-East, Murraylands, Yorke Peninsula, Northwest Pastoral, West Coast, Lower Eyre Peninsula and Upper Eyre Peninsula fire ban districts.
Meanwhile, this intense heat wave is expected to scorch Australia until Thursday next week.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS