Nexus 4 User Decodes Serial Number, Says Only 400,000 Units Manufactured So Far
By Arlene Paredes | January 4, 2013 11:29 AM EST
The Nexus 4 out of stock puzzle may have been solved. Owners can now try a system being used by an XDA forum user to determine when their LG-manufactured device was made.
Alexander T has concluded the first four characters of the serial number on the Nexus 4 box indicate the year and country where the Nexus 4 was manufactured. In the CNET UK example, a unit made in November 2012 in Korea would have "211K" in the first part of the serial number.
A single digit represents the year a Nexus 4 unit was made; hence, 2 for 2012 and 3 for 2013. It is followed by two digits for the month. A letter comes next for the country: K for Korea, C for China. Several Nexus 4 owners have checked their boxes to see if the system worked, and they proved that it did.
Having seen that Alexander T's process worked, another user brought up the idea of figuring out how many Nexus 4 units have been manufactured so far.
"Now it would be interesting to decode the rest of the numbers so we could roughly estimate the actual production counts," XDA user draugaz suggested.
With the help of other Nexus 4 users in the forum, XDA found out that LG made only 70,000 Nexus 4 in October. A month later, 90,000 units were manufactured. Then in December, 200,000 units were built. If the users got the figures right, it will explain why Nexus 4 frequently went out of stock.
"Wow these phones are being made a week before we get them! Google really has no stock of the phone," noted user Chad_Petree.
Tech Crunch reported Google is sorting out its inventory issues and T-Mobile will be able to sell Nexus 4 within the month.
A Google executive last month blamed LG for the frequent out of stock status of Nexus 4.
"Supplies from the manufacturer are scarce and erratic, and our communication has been flawed. I can offer an unreserved apology for our service and communication failures in this process," Google managing director Dan Cobley posted on his Google+ account.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 to Feature Retina Scanner Challenging iPad Retina and iPhone 6
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- These 2 Questions Reveal if You Unwittingly Abuse Alcohol
- Jennifer Lopez and Her Wild 45th Birthday Party: How JLo’s Life-Size Birthday Cake from SamiCakes Boutique Was Made
- Blake Griffin’s Back Injury Is the Reason for His Withdrawal from Team U.S.A.
- Supernatural Season 10 Spoilers: Metatron Capable of Saving Castiel's Fading Grace
- Anderson Silva To Test the Octagon Anew After Freak Leg Injury, To Fight Nick Diaz in 2015