Australian Dollar Outlook - 04 January 2013
By Christine Gaylican | January 4, 2013 10:54 AM EST
Bell FX Currency Outlook: Australian Dollar still strong peaks at a two week high as the United States avoids fiscal cliff.
The AUD outperformed overnight rising to above 1.05 but retraced some of this gain following the FOMC Minutes. The AUD/USD was sold late last night and could be construed as vulnerable if it fails to hold at 1.0460. Should this occur, we could well find ourselves back below 1.0400 where it sat prior to the Senate Bill being passed by the House of Representatives on Wednesday.
There is nothing today as far as local data and events calendar.
Majors: The USD strengthened against most major currencies, finding support after the US budget bill to partly avoid the 'fiscal cliff' and saw further support following the December FOMC Minutes which referenced ongoing asset purchases potentially ending 2013.
The minutes indicate that "a few members expressed the view that ongoing asset purchases would likely be warranted until about the end of 2013" and "several others thought that it would probably be appropriate to slow or to stop purchases well before the end of 2013, citing concerns about financial stability or the size of the balance sheet".
Market attention now turns to the payrolls employment report released tonight.
The EUR/USD fell through the session with only a modest and short-lived rally from better-than-expected German and Spanish unemployment data.
Bloomberg Research survey shows a market consensus for non-farm payrolls of +153k (150k for private payrolls). The unemployment rate is seen stable at 7.7%.
3 JAN EU Dec CPI Flash
EU Dec PMI services final
US Dec non-farm payrolls
US Dec unemployment rate
US Nov Factory orders
If you require latest pricing and ranges, visit www.bellpotter.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- MH17: Separatist Soldier Holds Aussie Reporter at Gun Point
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- UK Asks NATO to Stand Up to Russia
- U.S. ‘Defends’ Israel for ‘Disgraceful’ Attack on UN School in Gaza that Killed 15
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff