Kelly Clarkson Doesn't Mind Lesbian Rumors
By Maria Vultaggio | January 4, 2013 10:17 AM EST
Many people have claimed that “American Idol” star Kelly Clarkson is a lesbian, but she says she's not "insulted."
The singer, who is engaged to Brandon Blackstock, says she is actually flattered when attractive women hit on her, even though she doesn’t understand why the gay rumors have been so rampant.
"People think, ‘Oh, she’s been single for too long.’ That’s kind of an insult to the gay community. Being single doesn’t mean you’re gay. But I’m never insulted by it, obviously. I mean, I get hit on by the hottest girls ever. Oh, my god, if I were a lesbian, I would be so in luck. But it’s not just my thing. I’ve always battled for the boys’ team.”
But Clarkson added that getting the guys to hit on her wasn’t as easy:
“Usually the guys who hit on me are tools. It’s the ones that don’t hit on you that make you like ‘Why didn’t you ask me out?’ It’s like 'American Idol' auditions: The guys who are the most confident are the horrible ones, and the ones who are good have no confidence at all.”
It’s clear that Clarkson is tolerant of all sexualities, but her fellow "American Idol" alum Fantasia Barrino can’t say the same.
Barrino made headlines after she was accused of making anti-gay marriage statements.
"I Rise ABOVE IT ALL!!! THE WORLD IS GONE MAD. KIDS, THE GOVERNMENT THE church House... Everybody Trying!!!!!!!" she wrote on her Instagram account on Wednesday. “Its a lot that going on that the Bible speaks about we should Not be doing. Weed legal in some places, Gay Marriage Legal BUT YET IM JUDGED!!! I'm not doing Nothing for you... My Life!!!!"
After receiving some negative feedback, Barrino tried to clear up her Instagram post, and her rep released a public statement that read:
"Comments made by Ms. Barrino through her Instagram account were recently taken far out of context. Ms. Barrino is not now, nor has she ever been an opponent of the LGBT community. She has supported and performed at numerous events that are sponsored by the LGBT community. Whether it's through a live performance or placement on social media, Ms. Barrino uses every opportunity to reach out and connect with her fans, all of her fans."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar